Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,240   Online: 729

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Worth getting 150mm SQ-A Lens?

I've got a Bronica SQ-A at the moment with just the normal 80mm-S lens but I've been thinking about getting a 150mm for it. Is it worth getting one or just stick the the 80mm. Also for this lens would it be better getting a PS version rather than S

I'm one of these people who just keeps on buying stuff haha :rolleyes:

Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Only you know whether you'd use a longer lens. Personally I'd buy a wide angle 45mm/50mm because I use wide angles far more in all formats 35mm 120, 5x4 etc.

On the other hand when I'm shooting rock concerts etc I use a telephoto zoom. You have to decide why you'd want to use a 150.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The PS lenses have, apparently, improved coating. Mind you I have read many complaints about the S lenses.

KEK

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have to agree with Ian, if you think you'll use it buy it.

I have a 40/50/80/250 and use the 40/50 the most by far. The 250 I rarely use,It just isn't sharp enough and is alot heavier(not sure why I keep it) I've thought about getting a 150 just to see if It's any better.

The PS series are suppose to be the better lens

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 150mm lens is my favorite focal length. I just come up with my best work with it. It helps me sort out a scene and use compression, which I love to do. Your mileage may vary, but there is no denying that a 150mm lens gives a completely different result than the 80mm. For portraits, par example, the 150 is awesome. It can be done, but it's not easy to get proportions right when doing portraits with an 80mm lens. You have to be extremely careful with positioning the subject. The 150 won't give you that problem.
    Wide angle is something I never use, so to me a 150 is essential, but as has been pointed out it depends on what you use it for.
    - Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Large Format
    It's a very good portrait lens, and as far as I'm concerned whenever you have a person in the frame it's a portrait.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    just do it...they go for about $100 on ebay so it's really not a huge deal for what you will get out of it. Sometimes you don't think you'll use a lens, but when you actually buy it, it comes in handy more often than not. I think you should try justabout ever focal length you can to expand your creativity. I had a bronica 150mm for some time and loved it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jordanstarr View Post
    I think you should try justabout ever focal length you can to expand your creativity.
    Well said. What I did when it came to understand what lenses to use, I forced myself to shoot with one lens only. So when I got to understand the 150mm lens, that's all I brought for an entire photo trip of five days. You will find a way to make it work, it will force you to see differently, and it's very good for developing your skills.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    What I did when it came to understand what lenses to use, I forced myself to shoot with one lens only. So when I got to understand the 150mm lens, that's all I brought for an entire photo trip of five days. You will find a way to make it work, it will force you to see differently, and it's very good for developing your skills.

- Thomas
    Excellent advice. I shot my first project, my Pond Scum Portfolio, with only one lens. I think if you're serious about using the equipment as a tool, an extension of your vision, it's quite necessary to get to know the in and outs of seeing and composing with each focal length.

Below is a link to the images. The lens was a 210mm G-Claron, which on 4x5 is about the same as the 150mm you mention.

http://www.shawndougherty.com/pondscum.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dougherty View Post
    Below is a link to the images. The lens was a 210mm G-Claron, which on 4x5 is about the same as the 150mm you mention.

http://www.shawndougherty.com/pondscum.html
    I agree with that advice too.

BTW a 210mm G-Claron on 5x4 is more like using a 110mm-120mm on a Bronica or other 6x6, a 270mm-300mm on a 5x4 is a closer equivalent to the Bronica's 150mm.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin