Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,765   Posts: 1,516,375   Online: 1026

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you shoot with the Yashica and enjoy square images, don't even consider getting a 645 SLR because you would feel limited by it. I opted for 6x4.5 because I never learned to take square photographs. I had a Yashica for a while, but my results weren't very good. So I bought a Pentax, and my way of seeing things works with it perfectly. But if you're used to square, stay square.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have to disagree there. I shot with a Yashica, then a Rolleicord followed by a Mamiya C3 & a C33, for about 15 years - all 6x6. After the Mamiya's were stolen I replaced them with a pair of Mamiya 645's and you indistinctly shoot to the changed format. It's no big deal as most people shootb with 34mm as well.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Have to disagree there. I shot with a Yashica, then a Rolleicord followed by a Mamiya C3 & a C33, for about 15 years - all 6x6. After the Mamiya's were stolen I replaced them with a pair of Mamiya 645's and you indistinctly shoot to the changed format. It's no big deal as most people shootb with 34mm as well.

Ian
    I'm glad you disagree. It means you like the 645 format, as I do. You're obviously not addicted to the square format like people may be. If one knows how to take good square pictures, I think he or she should make use of it. One day I wish to pick up another Yashica, Rolleicord or a perhaps a Pentacon Six and learn how to compose square images.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick-in-LB View Post

I have a chance at getting a Bronica ETRSI and was
    wondering is there any pros or cons of the two types
    of format/size, 6x6 or 6x4.5. Rick
    The most significant difference twixt the two is the
    square format's always upright orientation. And that
    extends into the darkroom.

I've an ETRSi rather than a SQ for two reasons; lens
    speeds, and focal lengths. The camera is a bother for
    it's need for uprighting view finders and it's need for
    flipping when doing verticals. Of course in the
    darkroom the negatives view best if rotated.

The SQ is always ready to shoot. One tip for the
    ETRSi, buy the Rotary Finder. Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You should also consider the 6x7, 6x8, and 6x9 formats.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I generally don't crop much off of 645, but 66 always loses a slice when I'm printing as I never print full frame square. I do love using a 6x6 camera with flash bracket and prism.. You don't need to flip the thing around to go from horiz. to vert.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The cameras that go with the square format were typically designed with waist-level viewing in mind. Eye-level finders and metering came along some time after and some seem to have been added almost as an afterthought.

Since you're coming from 35mm you may appreciate that most 645 camera system (including lenses) will not only be lighter than 6x6, but will also be better integrated with with eye-level viewing finders and many will have sophisticated metering options including spot and matrix and TTL fill-flash as a standard feature. Most have a built-in ergonomic grip so that vertical compositions work in much the same way that 35mm does. The 645 negative is still 2 1/2X larger than 35mm and this is a huge leap in resolution. 645 to 6x6, not nearly so much improvement.

Since the bottom has fallen out of medium format film equipment used for weddings and commercial portraiture, there are tremendous bargains to be found in the systems that have been orphaned with no digital upgrade path. My Pentax 645N was a very nice find in mint- conditon for $330 earlier this year, which I mated it up to a manual focus 35mm f/3.5 wide angle. This all for a cost of only slightly more than the equivalent W/A lens alone would have cost for my D300 Nikon (but without the diffraction penalty at f/16-22).

Shooter
    Large Format
    I can recommend the Pentax 645 if you are going for a 35mm-like MF 645. It's perfect. I love the original interface of the 645. The dials on the N throw me off but either way the thing is dead simple to use and very difficult to muck up.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have used both, only recently buying a Fuji 645 which is so light I can carry it around with me all the time. Its quick to use being a rangefinder and has a really sharp 60mm its also quite cheap to buy. Good for street and landscapes. The main 6*6 is a Hassie which I only feel comfortable with when its on a tripod, like most 6*6 it slows you down and makes you contemplate the scene you are photographing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I too have been shooting 6 X 6 for eons and most of the time I print square, as well. I have a 645 magazine for my Rollei SL66E and hardly ever use it. The only time I do is for obviously and definitely horizontal subjects. Save your money and go with the 6 X 6.

Morry Katz
    Lethbridge, Alberta

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin