Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,719   Online: 885

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

645 or Sq Medium format

I need a little advice here. I now shoot a Yashica D and want to purchase another medium format camera. I have a chance at getting a Bronica ETRSI and was wondering is there any pros or cons of the two types of format/size, 6x6 or 6x4.5. I tried the HOLGA because everyone said I had to try it but for now it is not for me. Any help on this one, please.

Rick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some people refer the square format, I use both, I compose differently depending on what camera I'm using - because I always shoot to the format and don't crop my negatives. In general I'm more than happy with 645 and have had a pair of Mamiyas for about 25 years.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Modern films are outstanding, so don't think of the comparison between 645 and 66 too much in terms of image quality per square centimeter. Yes, 6x6 will give you a bigger picture area and less enlargement to achieve the same size, but there is a huge difference in lens quality between your Yashica D and a Bronica. And that will matter a lot!

Try to think: do you like square pictures at all? do you like to crop? do you need more than 12 exp. at once?

Then think: do I want a system camera or not? am I willing to stay on the used market, or do I want to buy some stuff new eventually?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 645 format cameras are lighter than the SQA version so if weight is an issue that might decide you. I have SQAs and a Mamiya 645. With the prism and motor drive the SQA is comparable in function but twice as heavy. I haven't been able to compare it to the ETR cameras, though. They are easier to find used and in good shape as they were in production later than the SQA series.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have both Bronicas 6x6 and 645. I use them both during the same photo session. Each one has their strong points. If all possible purchases Ai or Si/Ei series: SQAi bodies, PS lenses, Ai magazines have the locking dark slide - the magazine for 35 mm film is non Ai; ETRSi bodies, Ei magazines - have the locking dark side, PE lenses, AEIII meter which is very accurate

645: Cheaper to buy used at KEH, 15 exposures, lighter in weight, magazine for 35 mm film single and panoramic shots - if you can find them.

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/Categ...36&BC=ET&BCC=5

6x6: More expensive than 645 when it comes to magazine backs, heavier, 12 exposures, magazines for 35 film single and panoramic - shots if you can find them.

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/Categ...39&BC=SQ&BCC=5

Good luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have used an ETRSi for over 15 years. For me it works. I have a couple of 6x6s (old folders) and end up cropping in the darkroom more than I would have liked to get 8x10 or 11x14 prints. ( yes this is me more than the format) I prefer to crop in camera.
    In the end 645 gives me several more exposures per 120 roll. (3) The Bronica lenses are very sharp. Exchangeable lenses and film backs make it very flexible. The other advantage is that today the etrsi as a system is relatively cheap for the quality of pictures one can produce with it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I often like to print square, so I like 6x6 and consider it significantly better than 645. 645 is better than 35mm, of course, but not enough better in my opinion to justify the extra bulk of the equipment. 645 seems like a good choice if you want only one system and can't decide between medium format and 35mm.

Another attraction of 6x6, if you crop, is that you can crop from any part of the square frame, so it's a bit like getting a 645 with some rise (for horizontals) and shift (for verticals). This shot was cropped from the top of a 6x6 frame--

Aside from the fact that the proportions are a bit different from 645, the lines are straight (or as straight as they are in reality), because the camera is level, and the relationship of foreground to background is different from the image I would have gotten had I had used a 645 camera and pointed it down.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I got the 645. I wish i got 6x6. I like the square format better, and cropping the 645 results in a lower res. image. You can crop 645 on a 6x6 and still have same exact resolution as that of 645. Hope that makes sense.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I think usathyan's point is a good one. You can crop a 6x6 to 645 and all is well. But if you shoot 645 and want to sometimes crop to square your neg gets pretty small.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I believe 6x6 was devised to give the photographer the option of either shooting full frame, or cropping to either landscape or portrait format later to any proportion he/she wished later in the darkroom, I personally have been shooting 6x6 for more than twenty years and have never had any desire for 6x4.5.
    Ben

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin