Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,113   Online: 815

Thread: Horseman 612

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras

Horseman 612

I'm thinking about buying a Horseman 612 camera, either the Pro model, which has some rise and shift, or the standard w/o those features. I'm also thinking of the 90mm lens rather than something wider. My primary interest is in the 6x12 format, which I find very pleasing. I already have an SWC for super-wide shots.

Have any of you used a Horseman 612 or 617? What about lens choice? Your comments will be much appreciated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shoot with a 617 but couldn't afford a Horseman or Linhof etcso bought a Gaoers1 instead. Currently I have the 90mm focussing mount and the 75mm, and I fitted a 90mm Grandagon & a 75mm Super Angulon. However I found I never used the 90mm, much preferring the 75mm because it suits the landscapes I'm shooting. The Gaoersi can be used for 6x12, 6x15 & 6x17 but I prefer the wider format.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthurwg View Post
    I'm thinking about buying a Horseman 612 camera, either the Pro model, which has some rise and shift, or the standard w/o those features. I'm also thinking of the 90mm lens rather than something wider. My primary interest is in the 6x12 format, which I find very pleasing. I already have an SWC for super-wide shots.

Have any of you used a Horseman 612 or 617? What about lens choice? Your comments will be much appreciated.
    I had a look at the Horseman 612 and quickly concluded that it wasn't my gig, and instead made myself an ultrawide shift camera based on an enlarging back (6x9 cm to 4x5") for the horseman VH/VH-R series:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c7...ots/shift1.jpg

On this object I was shooting 612 roll as well as 4x5 sheet and instant film. Unfortunately this lovely accessory is very rare, and... also, I sold it recently. But nevertheless I do still have the Horseman 612 rollfilm back and can attest that it is very good. You can slap it on a crown graphic and get good results with a 90mm. I use the Schn. 90/8 SA among others. I also like the Nikkor 65 and a Rodenstock 55.

Overall, I frankly do not see the purpose of a dedicated 612 camera, for my own stuff. 617 sure, maybe; but 612 isn't something I use often enough to make that investment. But your needs are probably different...

I might part with my 612 rollfilm back for the right price.... check at mpex to see what the current prices are.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin