Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,231   Online: 835

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Practicality of Super Ikonta D?

Every once in a while, I see a Super Ikonta D on eBay. The format is big enough that contact prints might be interesting, but my assumption is that 616 film is non-existent and that I wouldn't be able to find a developing reel for it, even if the film were available. Are my assumptions correct? Have you ever felt tempted?
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Here is a web page where the author explains how to use a 120 film in a 616 camera :
    http://www.geocities.com/brandonshahan/120spacer.html

But I have not tried that because I don't use Super Ikonta D ; only a C , excellent for landscape .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As pointed out in the previous response, you could (non-destructively) adapt it to shoot 120 film.

Another option is to roll your own. I think you need 70mm film, and some suitable backing paper. You could salvage backing paper from some old 616/116 film for example.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    With no offence, I just can't understand why one still wants to use 616 when 120 is so common. One could spend the time for rolling or adapting more constructively actually taking pictures. Are the 616 lenses really better? If this is the case please let me know and I shall try to get a good one and plant it onto a 120 camera to use.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't know if 616 film still exists .
    Super Ikonta D is a 6,5 X 11 MF ; with 120 rollfilm , it's possible to get 6 (or a bit less) X 11 contact prints : it's a panoramic camera .
    The lens is a Tessar 120mm 1:4,5 ; I suppose it's sharp : I have a S-I C (6X9) with a Tessar 105 f1:3,5 and I get superb results .
    I think the adaptation is not a bad idea .
    Moreover , Super Ikonta is a beautiful camera !
    Last edited by Andy38; 09-24-2008 at 08:35 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just had a look at the film for classics website:

http://www.filmforclassics.com/html/...order_form.htm

For 616, they say "call for availability," so apparently it isn't out of the question. It would be a thrill to put some 616 through a camera like this, although it might be an expensive thrill. The Super Ikonta D would certainly be cheaper than buying a new 6x12 camera. The only thing the camera lacks is flash synch (and a meter, of course).

While we're on the subject of 616, am I correct in thinking that 116 and 616 are the same thing, except for the spool, like 120 and 620?
    Charles Hohenstein

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin