Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,966   Posts: 1,523,326   Online: 1195

Jaq

Shooter
    Medium Format

Rollei Magic II - advice

Hi,

I have seen an ad for a Rollei Magic II and, being totally unfamiliar with Rollei's, was wanting some advice from those who know this camera.

I found some information on the Rollei club site (http://www.rolleiclub.com/cameras/tl.../all_TLR.shtml) and it seem to me to be a good solid camera, especially regarding mechanism and optics (Xenar 3,5/75mm, Schneider).

I will be using the camera in the manual mode entirely so there is no need for the automatic exposure, which I understand to be faulty and unreliable.

The camera is selling for about $100, is this a bargain or a fair deal (seems pretty good to me)?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Shooter
    35mm
    There are two models, Rollei Magic I (serial numbers 2 500 000 to 2 534 999) and II (2 535 000 to 2 547 597). Only model II has true manual exposure, with I there is just auto plus aperture adjustment for flash and B, In all aspects other than exposure the Rollei Magic is just as good as any other Rollei with a Xenar lens.

PS: I just noticed you are asking about model II, which is of course the preferred choice.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I would buy this camera only if it works. At that price, it would be a good deal.

As far as Rolleis go, I don't think this was its best effort.

I think that the controls are fiddly. There is some oddball method for focusing. It's front heavy. And it's much too heavy and bulky in general.

There are plenty of Automats on the market, and I would buy an Automat before I would buy a(nother) Rollei Magic. A Rolleiflex is a better made camera and one that's easier to use. The other option would be a Rolleicord. Postwar cameras came with the same Xenar that's on the Rollei Magic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with Mike -- if you already have a Rolleiflex or Rolleicord, this might be an interesting acquisition. And of the two Rolleimagic models, this would be the one to get, for sure, so no reason not to go for it. But don't take the Rolleimagic experience as the typical Rollei TLR experience; you might enjoy one of the others better.

Jaq

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the advice, I will go and have a look at it, a TLR has been on my list for a little while now although I am not in any hurry.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Unless the auto metering works, the camera is a paper-weight.....and the "Magics" have a bad reputation in the Rollei community. Try looking for an MX-EVS, or 3.5E TLR. These are like gold bars in a Swiss bank account (going up not down in value).

Plus you'll have complete control over your image, and a proper Rolleiflex TLR.

Rolleijoe
    If the lens doesn't read "ZEISS", then it just isn't.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a Rollei and it was the camera that made me fall in love with photography. If they work well they are wonderful cameras

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolleijoe View Post
    Unless the auto metering works, the camera is a paper-weight.....
    That is true with a Rollei Magic I , which is entirely automatic ; but the Rollei Magic II has also manual settings...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin