Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,516   Posts: 1,572,134   Online: 1063

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

6x4.5 Enlargement Advice

I purchased a Pentax 645 a couple of months back and made my first enlargement last night from a test roll. I'd have to say that I am amazed at the clarity of the picture. It is totally different from my Pentax K-1000, but I can still tell that it is a picture taken from a Pentax camera, (or maybe it is my imagination).

Enough of the rambling. I have a few questions for those of you who shoot this format. They are as follows:

1.) What is a standard size for setting the easel so that I can have even
    borders? It found it difficult to adjust my easel to have equal, or near
    equal borders for the picture. Is it possible, or is this just a drawback of
    the 6x4.5 format.

2.) How many of you have an actual 6x4.5 negative carrier? If so does it
    make a difference in getting even borders for the enlargement?

3.) What is the best enlargement lens for medium format? I have option of
    using a 75mm or 80mm lenses.

Thank you,
    Jamusu.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mostly the 80mm lenses are better then the 75mm models. Somebody made a 75mm APO high buck lens but most of the 75mm are lower models then the 80mm.

A 645 holder might hold the neg flatter then a bigger one.

6x45 is 3x4. So if you're really worried about borders try 12x16 or similar. Or worry less about the borders -)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    1. Whatever size you want. There are no rules. If you want to print full image size, I usually print 9x12" on 11x14" paper. That gives a full frame neg with 1" border all around. Or I print 6x8 on 8x10 paper with 1" border all around. Also full neg. But I crop everything, all the time, and never worry about getting everything that's on the neg on the print.
    2. I have a 645 carrier. It's great. a 6x6 carrier works fine too. As long as it holds the negative flat.
    3. 75mm - 80mm - I don't know if it matters. I have a 75mm and an 80mm. I use the 80mm because the lens itself is a higher quality lens, but that is not by virtue of its focal length. Small difference, if you ask me.

It is nice to print medium format after having used 35mm. With that said, I like to go backwards too. Yesterday I printed a whole mess of 6x6 negatives, and to finish up I printed a full frame 35mm negative as a 4x6 on 8x10 paper. Looks great!
    Go nuts with it, break all the rules. It's liberating!
    - Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jamusu View Post
    I'd have to say that I am amazed at the clarity of the picture. It is totally different from my Pentax K-1000, ...
    Yep!

1.) What is a standard size for setting the easel so that I can have even borders?

2.) How many of you have an actual 6x4.5 negative carrier? If so does it
    make a difference in getting even borders for the enlargement?

3.) What is the best enlargement lens for medium format? I have option of
    using a 75mm or 80mm lenses.
    1) I print 6x8 on 8x10 paper. Matches the neg as close as you'll get (it's not exactly 6x4.5 cm) and has a 1 inch border all around. (edit - already covered)

2) I have an actual 645 carrier for all the enlargers I own.

3) Depends on the "medium format" - that covers a lot of territory. I use an 80mm for 645. For 6x7, I usually use a 105, though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Go nuts with it, break all the rules. It's liberating!
    Ditto

a 645 holder will give you 11x14, or a 6x6 holder with a thin piece of black plastic/paper will give you 14x(what ever) or 10x(what ever). The paper I use for masking is 120gram black card stock. I have used fully fogged single weight fiber base paper with varying degrees of luck.

I have an 80mm lens and a 75. The 80 is just better quality in my case. I suppose in this case what matters most is who made it with which materials and with what kind of quality control.

go for it
    good luck!

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    About the neg carrier, I use a glass 6x7 carrier so that I can keep the neg flat and print the whole frame, if I want to. The 645 neg carriers generally crop off a bit of the image area.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Based off of everyones responses, I don't know if I should purchase the holder or just mask one!!! I don't know if I should crop or just print full frame. Right now I suffering from information overload and loving every moment of it!!!

Please keep the responses coming!!!

Jamusu.
    Last edited by jamusu; 09-30-2008 at 06:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is totally different from my Pentax K-1000, but I can still tell that it is a picture taken from a Pentax camera, (or maybe it is my imagination).
    DEFINITELY imagination!

1.) The aspect ratio is about 4:3, or 1.33:1. This does not go onto standard enlarging papers quite perfectly. This means that there will be some white on one side if you print full frame (just like 35), or some cropping of the image if you print to fill the paper.

2.) No need to spend any money on a special 6x4.5 carrier, IMO (if there even is such a thing). I use 6x6 or 6x7 carriers and make the borders with the easel, and/or when I trim to dry mount. In fact, I prefer have the hole on the carrier a little bigger than the neg.

3.) Something in that range or longer will work great. A very nice quality 80mm will probably be quite reasonable on the used market, as they are very common.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    About the neg carrier, I use a glass 6x7 carrier so that I can keep the neg flat and print the whole frame, if I want to. The 645 neg carriers generally crop off a bit of the image area.

Jon
    Same here. The glass carrier holds the negative very flat and it's very easy to mask off the areas outside the negative with a thick, black paper mask. At first I went this route because of the cost of the d@^#&d things - outrageous, but then I grew to really love the glass carrier.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In my case, there is no readily available glass negative carrier for my enlarger (Beseler 67C) so I have a different perspective on this.

I have separate carriers for all the sizes I shoot (35mm, 6x4.5, 6x6 and 6x7) plus a 110 carrier as well. The carriers for the 67C are inexpensive on eBay, so if you are patient, it is easy to get a full set.

I think you get better results with 6x4.5 negatives using a the 6x4.5 carrier with than an unmasked 6x6 or 6x7 carrier, so if you don't have a glass carrier, I'd look for a used 6x4.5 carrier.

As far as the lens is concerned, the difference in focal length is small, so I would suggest looking for the best lens you can find in either focal length.

Matt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin