Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,616   Online: 670

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Hehehe Trask. Yeah, that thought has tricked me into many a project This time it seems it was valid though. As for the mirror. Thanks for confirming. I'll drop the initial quick fix then.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi, I used to work for a glass shop and they had the ability to do a surface silver on a piece of glass. There must be places around your neck of the woods that can do the same - essentially any place that can silver a regular mirror can also do surface silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I replaced the mirror in a Flexaret circa 1975 by buying an oversized front surface mirror from Edmund Scientific and cutting it (yes, a bit scary). Today I'm not even sure Edmund is still around. There's possibly some equivalent source.

DaveT

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    I replaced the mirror in a Flexaret circa 1975 by buying an oversized front surface mirror from Edmund Scientific and cutting it (yes, a bit scary). Today I'm not even sure Edmund is still around. There's possibly some equivalent source.

DaveT
    And make sure you measure the thickness o the mirror. Any other front surface mirror will be off by the difference in the thicknesses of the two mirrors. The back silvered mirror will be off by the thickness of the glass x 2.836. The image also won't line up in the viewfinder.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If the original is a front surface mirror and you only have a rear surface mirror to replace it with, I would try to glue the new mirror directly on top of the old one. That way, the reflecting surfaces of the two mirrors would be almost in the same place. You may need to shim the focussing screen just a little bit higher (perhaps the thickness of a piece of paper or two) but this should be easier than trying to lower the screen which you would need to do if you completely replaced the screen.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post
    And make sure you measure the thickness o the mirror. Any other front surface mirror will be off by the difference in the thicknesses of the two mirrors. The back silvered mirror will be off by the thickness of the glass x 2.836. The image also won't line up in the viewfinder.

tim in san jose

It's been so long my recollections are a bit hazy, but I think (within reason) you can compensate for thickness by recalibrating. Use a ground glass in the film plane and adjust the position of the viewing lens (I recall it is threaded in with a setscrew to lock the setting) to match the focus. I think that's what I did.

I'd say with the refraction through the glass and multiple surfaces, the back silvered idea potentially introduces an assortment of complexities best avoided.

DaveT

Shooter
    Large Format
    Edmund scientific is still in business at http://scientificsonline.com and will sell you a 51x51mm front surface mirror for about $5. There are also recipes on the net for DIY silvering. I have an old flexaret that Ive been meaning to get to to look at the mirror as the view is dark, but will leave it on the back burner for the moment!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ahh, the good old Flexaret! First of all, what type of Flexaret do you have?? If you really want a mirror you can always contact Cupog (search ebay, he's there) and ask if he has a spare mirror lying around. But be sure to know what type you have (if you don't know, post a photograph here, I can tell which one it is by sight).

As for repairs, I only do the shutter and mirror cleaning on the Type II till IVa, I don't mess with the transport either, to many springs and other little bits. The rest of the Flexarets are hard to repair and need a skilled person to do it.

And Oh, I just thought about it, I still have a spare mirror from a busted Type VII, so if your mirror is 55x65mm then I have a replacement for you.
    Last edited by Uncle Goose; 10-02-2008 at 04:00 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Sure, I could give you a boring explanation who I really am but I rather let the Origami do the talking.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Another potential source of mirrors are from old polaroid sx70 cameras. I paid $2 for one at a yard sale, and cut the mirror to fit a rollei with a de-silvered mirror.
    I would think that anytime you muck about with the mirror the focus will need to be adjusted.

You can make many adjustments to a camera with a butter knife and save $20 at the camera repair shop.
    Camera repair shops charge $40 to fix cameras adjusted with a butter knife.

Front surface mirrors are not difficult to find. Looks like you have some good sources mentioned above. Good luck!

Peter Gomena

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin