Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,905   Posts: 1,521,408   Online: 1033

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

DIY Meopta Flexaret cleaning.. Didn't go so well ;p

Ok, so i've had this old TLR sitting on my shelf for ages and today i thought i'd see if i could 'fix' it.
    The focusing knob was stuck and that was my first item on the agenda. After a while i managed to get it open and see what the problem with the focusing was, it was simply completely stuck due to old grease and dust..
    "well, problem solved", i think and start cleaning it. After im done with the screw mechanism for the focus i decided to give the mirror a good once over too.. that was a problem.
    This was no ordinary mirror at all. Its a piece of glass thats coated with some very fragile reflective material on the "business side" (the one that reflects). It promptly got a cyan/magenta coloured haze and i rubbed straight through the coating.
    I'm thinking i could just have a regular mirror cut to size and that will sort the issue, but there is probably some reason for the mirror to be made this way, no?
    So would any of you know what kinda purpose this mirror had (if any)?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some suggestions were in this thread: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum51/5...ii-mirror.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's a front surface mirror. And, iirc, the Flexaret's were real tricky b.st.rds to work on.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks ic-racer. I'm wondering how much of a problem it would be with a regular mirror though.. According to the internet () there will be a double reflexion with a regular one.. but how bad will it be? anyone tried?

Also, if i do order the right one, will it also be "uncleanable"?

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, getting the front off was pretty simple Anscojohn. A Few tiny screws that may not be so simple to get back on though, but im sure i'll manage Also i guess i might not get the focusing to correspond 100% with the distance scale, but i know *aproximately* how it was angled when i losened it so it shouldn't be too far off. I'm not touching the fine mechanics of the shutter etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you use a rear surface mirror, in addition to the double image, won't the focus be off by 2x the thickness of the mirror glass because the image will have to pass through the glass 2 times to get to the reflective surface (or perhaps a fraction more than that, because the light will pass through the glass at an angle)?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by wclavey View Post
    If you use a rear surface mirror, in addition to the double image, won't the focus be off by 2x the thickness of the mirror glass because the image will have to pass through the glass 2 times to get to the reflective surface (or perhaps a fraction more than that, because the light will pass through the glass at an angle)?
    I can safely say: "no idea"

Shooter
    35mm

Recoating?

You could also completely clean the mirror off (as in, remove the coating, too), and then send it out to get recoated. Aluminum recoating doesn't seem too expensive...a quick google found these guys: http://www.alcoat.net/

Not sure how they'd react to a small, rectangular mirror, but shop around -- you should be able to find front-surface coating for not a lot of money.

-g.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the info and options guys Hope is not lost it seems. I guess i'll get a regular mirror cut tomorrow, just cause it's the fastest and simplest solution(idea). Then probably acknowledge that it was a waste of money and explore the other options

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Well, the previous poster is correct -- a regular mirror will just introduce a significant focussing error. Go ahead and do it, if you wish, but you know in advance it ain't gonna work. Believe me, the Meopta engineers and every other camera maker would have loved to use a standard mirror, but there's a very good reason they don't.

Good luck, by the way. I've often thought that if someone else is smart enough to put it together, so am I. Experience has sometimes shown otherwise!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin