Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,669   Posts: 1,669,043   Online: 1140

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Box Cameras

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    unconstructive comment: that black box of wooden film holders is seriously sexy.

somewhat redundant comment: I find that almost every antique/old-junk store has at LEAST one box camera in it somewhere. Most are not worth more than $5 max, though I find that quite often they're marked all kinds of crazy prices, from $30-$250. Estate sales and estate auctions are also a good place to find old cameras. Sometimes at auctions you can even score crazy lots of cameras or bits of cameras. Fun fun fun!

There are some great pages about box cameras on the web. This one's about Kodak Brownies, this one about box cameras generally.

For that "crappy" holga-esque look, I would tend towards the plastic-lens era of box cameras. You can find things like the Kodak Holiday Flash and Ansco Panda (amongst many others) around and very cheap... even some earlier Kodak bakelite numbers, like the Baby Brownie (all three of those cameras take 127, though).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Go for the brownie hawkeye with the reversed lens, they're great! Easy to find and cheap. I have 2 and both were in the $5.00 range.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails carldazebng.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    May I suggest that you look for Druh Synchro or Ami 66. These are Polish plastic cameras, similar to Holga, but unique in their own ways. They take standard 120 film and should be very cheap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's also the Ansco Shur-Shot, but its a neither-nor. Mine was neither sharp enough to be a typical camera nor fuzzy enough to be Holgaesque.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    I find this very difficult to believe.

You're right -- I don't think there is a category "too crappy for eBay."

If it doesn't disintegrate, then people will put it up for sale as "nearly mint."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have (and use, although not much lately - grad school, arrgh) a bunch of 120 box cameras - Zeiss Box Tengor, Ansco Shur-Flash, a few others. I think they offer a lot more bang for the buck than a Holga. Plus, you can keep better eye contact with your subject using the top viewfinder - it's a small thing but I find it helps. I have found Tengors for less than $20 on ebay; the Anscos are probably more Holga-esque and can be had cheaper than that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's not a box camera per se, but another good "Holga-only-not" candidate is the Pho-Tak Foldex 20, a 6x9 American folder from the 1950s with a meniscus lens that seems to be common as dirt. Aperture, shutter speed, and focus are all fixed; the only controls are the shutter release and a switch between "time" (B) and "inst" (about 1/50).

I think mine cost about US$10 on eBay.

-NT

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoBulley View Post
    Go for the brownie hawkeye with the reversed lens, they're great! Easy to find and cheap. I have 2 and both were in the $5.00 range.
    Are we talking about the Hawkeye Flash? That's the only one I've found on the eBays.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    That's the one. Here is a random link to just one of the many.http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Brownie-...d=p3286.c0.m14
    but if you have time to stop buy a thrift/ antique store, generally cheaper there. No shipping charge.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have been using a Brownie Target Six-20. Yes, it is a pain to respool the 120 onto 620 spools, but the camera does a good job with the meniscus lens. I took the front plate off the camera ( it is held with four screws) and cleaned the lens and view finders, also dusted out the shutter. My first camera was an Ansco ShurFlash. I don't know what happened to it, that is over fifty years ago. It used 120 film. Good luck in your search.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin