Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,272   Online: 950

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    All I really want it for is keeping my dynamic range within the bounds of transparency film, namely Velvia 50. Accordingly, I've decided to go minimalist with just one GND of 2x to see how well that works. Beyond that, I'll carry both Astia 100F (to squeak another stop, easily), and color neg film.

The notion of a plastic resin filter that invariably will scratch, and maybe show strange effects when used in front of a polarizer has sold me on the glass rectangular Tiffen GNDs. Just now got a P-series Tiffen XL 2X GND for cheap enroute from Adorama (only place I've found where the extra-long versions are $100, not $150 or more). Also just scooped up a whole bunch of Cokin P adapter rings for all my lenses at fire-sale prices and a Cokin P Circ polarizer for a good savings from Samys auction store.

Likely a big reason why these are getting discounted by the big guys and harder/near impossible to come by at local camera retailers is digital HDR photography. For the cost of one filter one can buy software that'll merge 3 or more bracketed shots. While I personally find most HDR shots are too kitschy, too obvious and heavy-handed in the effect, this may be good news in the short term, for those of us still shooting film-at least until all these filter stocks are depleted.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I second the Hitech filters- cheaper than Lee and all reviews say equally as good. I have a few but have not used them much yet. When I *have* used them, it's been on transparency film, and I've been happy with the results.

Tim
    If only we could pull out our brains and use only our eyes. P. Picasso

http://www.timbowlesphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I went out the other day and bought so Cokin ones just to have a play around, if I don't use them that much I'm not too fussed seeing as they didn't cost me that much So it's all good really. Just need to wait for a nice day now haha

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin