Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,356   Online: 733

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Cokin P ND Grad Filters??

After taking some landscape shots with my Bronica I've been thinking of getting some ND filters. Grad ones seem to be the best for what I'm thinking of doing and the Cokin P size filters seem like a good price.

Anyone got some advice at all on if it's worth getting those, as for me the Lee ones seem too much. Also would 3stops - ND8 be too much and more an over kill

Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cokin's are not as neutral as the more expensive kind and therefore aren't as good for colour as the costly ones. The plastic is easily scratched. If you have the cokin holder you may find this is your only route. I have glass ones that are of the same size (75 x100 mm I think) that don't fit the cokin holder. I believe the ND6 is 2 stops and the nd 9 are 3 stops I could be wrong as I go by sight not number. If you are shooting chromes, 3 stops is not too much. Using a 3 for the sky and a 2 for water is often the right combo if you want the middling areas to have detail. If you are shooting urban scenes at night and you don't want the side walk to dominate or the 2nd floor of building to disappear 3 stops may not be enough.
    Last edited by jd callow; 10-05-2008 at 02:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Buy the Lee, you will be much happier with the results. They will be much more neutral and are made to much higher standards. You may want to start with a 2 stop and purchase a 3 stop later. Also, you will need to decide upon soft or hard gradations. The soft grad will be easier to use but will not make as hard a line such as when you are using them with the intersection of the sky and the ocean.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for that guys

I'll have to look into some what more I think before I make a choice if I buy some or not

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As cheap as the cokin's are you may want to buy one just to see if its the right direction.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Like £33 is not much really when you think about it.

3filters a holder, then just have to pay for a 67mm ring as well

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A glass ND will start at 100USD (or £50) plus a holder.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    JD Callow, do you have Tiffen PXL grads, and do they not fit in Cokin P holders?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I started with Cokin grads and then moved onto Lee, they just seemed better made, although if you go up to the 100mm Cokin Z system, it's not that different in price to Lee. I have a 2 stop hard grad and a two stop soft and that seems to cover most of what I need. The small size of Cokin P can be a little restrictive if you use wide-angles a lot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I chose Hitech filters over the more expensive Lee - partly because I do not use colour very often. I have one Cokin grad and tested it and the HiTechs on my X-Rite densitometer and that confirmed both the Cokin's colour cast and the lack of it in the HiTech filters.

They fit my Cokin P-type holders but I have read that Cokin has reduced the holder size slightly so it may now be too tight a fit in new holders. It would be a simple matter to sand a millimetre off the plastic filter if necessary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin