Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,406   Online: 1119

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ptt

Shooter
    Medium Format

Pentax 645N used rate

All,
    I've recently obtained some MF equipment from my dad. Its hard to find what the going rate is for this used equipment. I've searched ebay and the classifieds...but nothing conclusive.

Can you guys give me an idea what I should be asking for the following?:

1) Pentax 645N Body
    2) Pentax FA 645 45-85mm f4.5 Auto-Focus
    3) Pentax 645 200mm f4
    4) 120 Back, 220 Back x 2

All are in great condition.

Thanks!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    One way to get a quick read on what equipment has recently sold for is to do an Advanced Search on Ebay and look at completed listings (auctions that have recently closed, whether the item was sold or not). You would need to be a registered Ebay user and signed in for this feature to work, however.

A 645N body in this condition will typically sell for $325-425. A new 200mm recently sold for $250, a new 45-85mm for $400, so you might expect to get $150-200 for the 200 tops, and I'd think that $250-300 would be about as much as you might hope for with the 45-85mm. The 220 inserts are sorta hard to give away-- the 120 ones are worth more, perhaps as much as $75 apiece if in nice shape. Now is probably not the best time to be selling it for top dollar, but if you've decide to regardless, break it up into the component parts and put a low starting price on all with a reserve-- see what happens.

Whatever you do, don't make the mistake of putting a couple of rolls of a nice color slide film like Velvia 50 or Astia 100F through the camera, then forget about it and only process the film some weeks later-- after you've sold the whole lot for $500 and shipped it down the road. (You or your father might really, really kick yourself, then. These were-- and still remain-- really top-notch pro caliber film cameras capable of exceptional results).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You have me drooooling here
    Look into KEH and see what the prices are. Then think they'll pay you about half of that.

I agree with pupfish, DO NOT run roll thorugh htat camera or you'll never sell it.
    Mama took my APX away.....

ptt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the replies. I just got a roll of Fuji Pro 160C 120 to play around with.

I don't even know how to load the film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ptt View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I just got a roll of Fuji Pro 160C 120 to play around with.

I don't even know how to load the film.
    It's not that tough. Do you have the manual? It's likely to be online at Pentax's site somewhere - even their older ones are, I think. You don't say where you are (though I doubt you're close enough to me for me to help), but maybe you're near one of the many APUGers.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Download the manual here:
    http://www.pentaximaging.com/custome...re/show_manual

The least intuitive part about learning to load the film might be figuring out that the take up spool is in the wrong place once you've removed a roll and not yet swapped out the empty spools (or when the previous owner left the empty one where the new roll of film goes). Black side of the paper faces out. Too, you'll want to keep the spooled film roll from springing open and unravelling and accidentally exposing it to light. It's a tad fumbly at first, what with trying to get the spool-end notches aligned with the swing-out spool end retainers. But you only need do it half a dozen times til you'll be an old hand at it.

What I liked best about the process was that after I got a 2nd 120 insert I didn't have to try to do this all out in the open at the beach (blowing sand, etc). Once you've loaded film an extra insert at home and slipped it into the box cover thing, changing inserts in the field is super-quick and sure with a quarter turn fastener. Much easier and faster than 35mm, I find.
    Last edited by Pupfish; 10-07-2008 at 05:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Don't sell it. Use it!
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

ptt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Bethe: I'm in Houston.

Pupfish: Thanks for the link. I was able to find the original manuals.

Banana-fana-fo-fana: I've been so spoiled with digital and 6fps. This will requires a new discipline. I shoot alot of candids....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am sure Bethe will agree, you can shoot candids with the Pentax. It is a very good camera, but alas I have enough (that's what the wife says) cameras already.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

ptt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Youtube is your friend. I don't understand what he is saying....but it looks pretty obvious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERilYA78Xd0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin