Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,364   Online: 1020

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images

Looking for a new screen... Beattie or Maxwell?

I've searched the forums here and have not much found much info. I just got a Bronica ETRSi and the screen is not very bright. I would like to update the screen. My main questions are:

Maxwell or Beattie?

I found purchase info for Beattie, but none for Maxwell. Is Bill Maxwell still around and making screens?

Will the increase in light affect my meter readings? I have the AEIII prism for my ETRSi.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I bought two screens from Maxwell a few months ago for a TLR. They're fantastic, and Maxwell was very nice to deal with over the phone.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aparat View Post
    I bought two screens from Maxwell a few months ago for a TLR. They're fantastic, and Maxwell was very nice to deal with over the phone.
    Does he have a website or phone number? Also, how do prices compare with Beattie?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I bit the bullet and bought a Maxwell screen for my Canham 4x5. I am pleased with it. Much brighter. Expensive plastic though. It comes well packed with clear instructions. Mr. Maxwell is very knowledgeable and can give you any help you need deciding. He has no website so you have to call him and talk to him. I can't remember, but I think the 4x5 screen was a good $300.

This is contact info:

NOTE: You are advised to call before placing your order in case we are temporarily out of some items (this does not apply to Hi-Lux screen enhancements).

We accept checks, m.o. and all major cards (American Express, Optima, Visa, MasterCard, and Discover)If you have any questions, please call us at:

(404) 244-0095

Or you may email us at:

maxwellprecisionoptics@toast.net

Or write:

Maxwell Precision Optics
    P.O. 33146
    Decatur, GA
    30033-0146
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    I've searched the forums here and have not much found much info. I just got a Bronica ETRSi and the screen is not very bright. I would like to update the screen. My main questions are:

Maxwell or Beattie?

I found purchase info for Beattie, but none for Maxwell. Is Bill Maxwell still around and making screens?

Will the increase in light affect my meter readings? I have the AEIII prism for my ETRSi.

Thanks!
    Strange, I find the screens of Bronica quite clear (but maybe it's because I regularly swap between an ETRSi and a Flexaret ). A brighter screen will indeed affect your readings but that's why there is a small slide with 0,1 and 2 on the bottom of your prism, these are for permanent compensation when another screen is installed (it does roughly the same thing as the compensation dial on top of the prism). You will only have to find out how much you will have to compensate.
    Last edited by Uncle Goose; 10-09-2008 at 03:48 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo
    Sure, I could give you a boring explanation who I really am but I rather let the Origami do the talking.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used both in my Rolleiflexes.
    Both are excellent screens. In
    my experience, the best screen
    is the Maxwell screen without the
    center spot focusing aid, followed
    very closely by the Beattie screens.
    I would avoid the Maxwell screens
    with center microprism spots --
    in my experience they are not up to
    the other screens' quality. If you need
    the focusing aid, get the Beattie.

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolleiflexible View Post
    I would avoid the Maxwell screens
    with center microprism spots --
    in my experience they are not up to
    the other screens' quality....
    I would like to politely disagree here. At least, this has not been my experience. I have two Maxwell screens, one with split image microprism and one without, on two different Rolleis. I find them both excellent in use and indistinguishable in quality.

On the other hand, I use split image microprisms regularly in my 35mm cameras, so perhaps I am predisposed to like them and rely on them. And, to be fair, when I talked to Bill Maxwell about which screen to get, he initially recommended the plain screen.

But if you are used to the split image, and it helps you, as it does me, I firmly believe that there's no reason to avoid it.

-Laura

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Laura, Bill will tell you that his screens
    with microprisms are inferior to his plain
    screens. They are made by a different
    process and manufacturer. Bill offers them
    only because people ask him for screens
    with focusing aids.

In a Rollieflex, Bill's screens with the
    microprism will black out at the edges when
    viewed through the Rolleiflex's magnifier.
    Bill's plain screens will not do that. The
    fresnel lines on his microprism screens are
    much more pronounced than they are on
    the plain screens. Perhaps because of that,
    I find Bill's microprism screen harder to focus.

All that said, they are all very good screens.
    But I find the Beattie screens with focusing
    aids much easier to use than the Maxwells
    with focusing aids.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Brian - I've got a Bronica ETRSi as well and was so frustrated trying to focus that I bought a Beattie screen with a centre split-image - its fantastic, even in very low light and saved my sanity. Because I'm in Oz it was easier to get hold of the Beattie, so can't comment on the Maxwell. Good luck with it.
    Patricia

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin