Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,895   Posts: 1,520,918   Online: 975

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format

All of the lenses are excellent

Hi PB,

Welcome to the Mamiya 7II system. It is truly excellent when applied to its strengths. I have had a complete system for over 10 years and value it to this day even with the many digital alternatives out there.

to address your questions:
    - I would not say that one lens is "better" than another. They have different areas of coverage that make them suitable for different uses. I know there are many lens tests that show slight differences in MTF, etc; however, I treat these lenses as equal in optical quality for field use (which is to say they are all superb).

- I use the 65m and 80mm both equally. I would tell you that the small difference in focal length is deceptive; both of these lenses have very different emotional results to my eye because of their coverage. The image and relationship of forms within the image will be different enough to warrant owning both depending on the kind of subjects you photograph.

- I had a 210 lens for a little while and sold it - the lack of rangefinder coupling did not bother me, I simply did not use it all that much and found the 150 perfect for many of the images I made.

- Depending on your subject matter, you may want to consider the 50 next. It is a wonderful lens. In my opinion, it gives you the ability to manage a large subject imaging space, with a looming feel to the forms of the image, with superb quality without some of the restrictions you have to observe when using the 43mm.

- I don't know why Mamiya did not build a 100mm, I still love the 80 however.

- I do not believe we will see an M8/M9, etc....The R&D in this product line has already been invested and the market demand for the system is shrinking. We should enjoy what we have available as it is a unique system that produces wonderful results.

It is the one film camera that i will never sell - my kids may open it in a dusty box one day and wonder what it is, but I will keep it.

Best,
    George

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Thanks guys keep it coming! Is there anyone out there that has the 210 currently?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    PBrooks, let me be blunt, you are going to want all of these lenses. If you are like me, you may even start to covet multiple copies. They are that good. They are all superb. Just prioritize and save up!
    This is true. The combination of amongst the best optics out there with stellar performance at modest speed due to the super smooth and quiet shutters is quite something.

with slow speed films with inherent acutance (Delta 100 comes to mind) you get brutal sharpness.

I am curious about the 43 as I am using 21mm on 35mm more and more. however, the 50 is the perfect all round ávge' wide, with the 65 as the mild wide. I recall comments from owners with both the 43 and 50 saying the 50 is a in their view marginally better optically, but I suspect this is splitting hairs.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    So nobody out there with the 210?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stanworth View Post

I am curious about the 43 as I am using 21mm on 35mm more and more. however, the 50 is the perfect all round ávge' wide, with the 65 as the mild wide. I recall comments from owners with both the 43 and 50 saying the 50 is a in their view marginally better optically, but I suspect this is splitting hairs.
    So for me the 43mm is wonderful for landscapes, the 80 is great as well. I don't use the separate viewfinder for the 43 (too awkward) but getting the composition and focus right without the attachment is easy enough. What's so impressive is the minimal distortion and sharpness of such a wide lens...

-Mark

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin