Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,995   Posts: 1,524,283   Online: 864

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Need Help with Bronica Speed Grip E

I've finally been able to dive into medium format after several years of interest. I have a Bronica ETRS and I recently acquired a used Speed Grip E for it. Before attaching the grip to the camera, I can see the winding connector turn when I stroke on the film winding lever. After attaching the grip to the camera, however, nothing happens when I stroke on the film winding lever (the attachment rod of the film winding crank does not turn). Please note that no film was loaded while I was doing this.

Is nothing happening (the attachment rod of the film winding crank does not turn) because I have not loaded any film? Or is the Speed Grip E that I bought broken? What normally happens when the film winding lever of the Speed Grip E is stroked with no film in the camera?

Thank you very much!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like it's broke to me. The camera body controls how far you can wind it, so you should see it move until the frame advance stops it.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Medium Format
    To mount the grip to the camera you have to remove the crank handle and put the pin back in. That pin aligns with the winder groove. When you wind up one n a half strokes it will make one frame. Without film, put the camera in the multi exposure mode, the little lever by the crank is down. Now you will wind up one frame n shoot. If not... well it's broken, maybe the gear is striped or loose.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That was exactly how I mounted the grip to the camera (exactly as the manual said). I tried to do your advice of putting the camera in the multi-exposure mode but nothing happened. There's not the slightest friction or resistance when I stroke the lever (not like when the grip is not mounted where there's only very slight resistance but the winding connector turns). Oh my, I guess I got a broken item!

Any idea if those things can get repaired? My present inclination is just to send it back to the seller (I felt that it was a good deal when I bought it).

Thanks to both of you BTW!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Take the film back off the camera. With the crank on wind and look at the rear of the camera. You should see gears moving. At least IIRC -) With the winder on you should see the same thing.

Are you sure it's mounted correctly? I know with my motor grip it's a bit of a pain to align correctly.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    To check operation : Put the mulitple exposure lever in the forward position & turn the locking ring around the shutter button (on the camera body) so the red dot is down. Then try to fire the shutter (with the shutter button on the camera) to see if it was already in the cocked position. If the shutter fires then try stroking the lever on the grip twice & try the shutter button on the grip. If it still doesn't work then it may well be broken.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If the seller claimed it as working it would send it back. This winder is not a difficult item to come by and not terrible expensive. Otherwise you might see if you can repair it yourself. I never opened one but it can't be that complex, maybe something came lose inside.
    Sure, I could give you a boring explanation who I really am but I rather let the Origami do the talking.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    Take the film back off the camera. With the crank on wind and look at the rear of the camera. You should see gears moving. At least IIRC -) With the winder on you should see the same thing.

Are you sure it's mounted correctly? I know with my motor grip it's a bit of a pain to align correctly.
    Thanks Nick! Well, I think I mounted it correctly. The winding connector on the grip has meshed with the rod of the winding crank, and the safety stop on the base has sprung up.

I did your advice and took the back off the camera. Nope, no gear movement! Probably broken, oh my!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jime11 View Post
    To check operation : Put the mulitple exposure lever in the forward position & turn the locking ring around the shutter button (on the camera body) so the red dot is down. Then try to fire the shutter (with the shutter button on the camera) to see if it was already in the cocked position. If the shutter fires then try stroking the lever on the grip twice & try the shutter button on the grip. If it still doesn't work then it may well be broken.
    Thanks! I did that and no, doesn't work! I guess that's it then!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Goose View Post
    If the seller claimed it as working it would send it back. This winder is not a difficult item to come by and not terrible expensive. Otherwise you might see if you can repair it yourself. I never opened one but it can't be that complex, maybe something came lose inside.
    I've just communicated with the seller and he's willing to take it back and give a full refund, thankfully! It was simply a good deal at $15 but I guess you get what you pay for! Thanks anyway!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin