Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,687   Posts: 1,548,642   Online: 1209

ITD
    Shooter
    35mm RF

Backpack for MF SLR?

Can anyone please recommend a backpack for my Bronica ETRSi? I'd be carrying body, rotary finder, couple of backs and 2-3 lenses (maybe including 250mm) plus all the normal paraphernalia.

I'd want something that can also handle non-camera stuff, too - maybe a book, jacket, lunch!

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ITD View Post
    Can anyone please recommend a backpack for my Bronica ETRSi? I'd be carrying body, rotary finder, couple of backs and 2-3 lenses (maybe including 250mm) plus all the normal paraphernalia.

I'd want something that can also handle non-camera stuff, too - maybe a book, jacket, lunch!

Thanks
    The Lowepro Mini Trekker will take the ETRSi with finder, grip and lens attached. There's still plenty of room for the rest, though if you want to take jackets etc you may need to move up a size.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I will probably go to my first hiking at Sunday, and also think if continue to do that in future I will need backpack or rucksack for mine Mamiya RB and Manfrotto 055 Nature tripod with 029 head. Heavy stuff.

So, I am also interested in answer to ITD's question.
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This may or may not help but I carry my Bronica SQ-A and an 80mm lens, two backs, meter and grey card with room to spare in the bottom of a LowePro Primus AW. In the top I put lunch, first aid kit, water filter, compass, matches, some water and other things.

As with any pack it really should be picked up and tried on in a store just to make sure it fits and does what you like.

So far I've been very pleased. It has integrated tripod/tool loops on the outside, I can reach into the bottom compartment holding the camera with the pack on and it's very comfortable for a long day's hike. It has little pockets everywhere for bits and bobs. The above-linked page has specs on size etc. plus it's made from recycled plastic and has a handy all-weather cover for those surprise torrential downpours or days in the desert.

Works quite well for me. Hope that helps!

c.

ITD
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    areaeleven - interesting, I was looking at the Primus AW before I posted, but it didn't look like the photo compartment was big enough for a Bronica. Would you say that carrying the one lens would be about the limit, or could you get another one in there without having to wrestle it?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I think I've carried just about everything I've owned at one time or another in a standard backpack with Domke inserts. The upside is taking the inserts out to carry other stuff and the downside is regular photo backpacks have better outer wall insulation, but the photo bags seem to have too much depth and stick out from your back too much. I also prefer equipment sitting in the bottom from a load perspective instead of from top to bottom. Strap wise it's a tossup on what you buy. My Lowepro Classic is nice for a normal size standard photo backpack but it rarely if ever goes out anymore as I prefer a regular pack that doesn't scream photographer. I also have the the Orion Trekker which is nice for a small outfit with the separate zippered compartment on top for stuff, but it's a 2 lens/body/maybe w/flash bag. Overall if I was out hiking for the day in the mountains with a $2K Ebony 4x5 and sheet films holders my LowePro would be the choice, otherwise for around town and short hikes from a car it's just a standard backpack saving a couple of pounds and with generally faster access.
    W.A. Crider

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin