Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,460   Online: 909

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Hassy 120 or 150 for...

Hi all,
    Just a quick question for someone who's had experience with both. I'm interested in either the Hasssy 120/4 Makro or the 150/4 for head shots. I have an 80/2.8 and I can't really get as close as I'd like with the min. focusing distance. Do I need the 120 if I want to have someone's head take up more than the entire frame? Or does the 150 focus close enough for that. I hope this question makes sense.

Thanks in advance.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The 150 is the preferred lens for portraiture. I have shot with the 120 Makro-Planar, and while it is an acceptable portrait lens, and will let you get very close, it is a rather harsh lens for portrait work and I recommend against it if you have the choice. If you are worried about close-focusing with the 150, get an 8mm or 16mm extension tube. You'll be at 5% (or 10% on the 16mm tube) of focal length, so you'll have no exposure comp to worry about.

nze
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The 150 won't do it without a tube. But for such protait I'll go for a 250 and tube..
    Chris Nze
    me Apug Portfolio
    Me web page

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a 120 which will give me a nice head and shoulders, or a cropped head if needed. If you need closer I would go for an extension tube. Think of where you will be taking most of your portraits in future. Most of my portraits are in small rooms, so longer lenses present problems if you need more than a tight head shot. There's always the Softar I if you need to soften skin tones.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A 120 mm is too short for a tight head shot. Perspective is horrible. A 150 mm is too short too, but better.
    The suggestion to go to a 250 mm with (32 mm) tube is perfect. It's not just the right focal length, but a great lens too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have never owned one but have used a friends Hassy with the 150 Sonar several times, it focuses down to 1.4 meters, and is ideal for portraiture It's roughly equivalent to an 85 mm on 35mm I found it fine to use in a domestic room, or a small studio.
    Ben

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've found the 150mm and a 16mm extension tube is a great combination. If there's an alternative, it would be the 180mm Sonnar. The 250mm feels too long to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For many years I have used the 150mm, on its own and with the 10 or 21mm tube on my 500C/M for portraiture. I have also used the 250mm to good effect but bear in mind which might best suit any other work. I think either would be preferable to the 120mm, unless you're into macro of course, in which case you have a dilemma.
    I'm into painting with light - NOT painting by numbers!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry S View Post
    I've found the 150mm and a 16mm extension tube is a great combination.
    Another vote for this combination. It's relatively inexpensive and works quite well. Just needs 1/4-1/2 stop additional exposure for lens extension.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    35mm
    Do not forget that there was a 120mm f5.6 S (makro) planar and that there is a 135mm f5.6 Makro planar that is bellows mounted and which will surely focus close enough for what you wish. If you have wishes above and beyond taking potraits then the Makro lenses should be given very serious consideration. Although I have not used one I would think that a 120-135mm Makro Planar with softar 1 & 2 would be very nice.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin