Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,128   Online: 1128

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    sim
    The Hasselblad lenses are outstanding and the robustness and versatility of the V system is legendary. For what you want to do, there's a special lens which you can find around quite cheaply - the S Planar , or in a more recent version - Makro Planar 135/5.6. It comes with a bellows combined with a bellows type lens shade, and like the Makro Planar 120/4 it is corrected for subjects smaller than 1mx1m. In practice, you can use it for infinity subjects too, if you stop it down to f11.0, which is the case for this fl most often anyway. It goes down to 1:1 and you can read the compensation for close up shots directly from the rail. It would be cumbersome to use handheld, but I find that Hasselblads are tripod cameras anyway... Here's a close up as an example:http://www.flickr.com/photos/5917703...19664/sizes/l/ and here one made at a middle distance:http://www.flickr.com/photos/5917703...31967/sizes/l/.
    The Makro Planar 120 on the other hand is more handy for various applications where extreme close up is not needed - it also has an exceptional bokeh:http://www.flickr.com/photos/5917703...84553/sizes/l/ and if stopped down delivers great sharpness at bigger distances as well: http://www.flickr.com/photos/5917703...38084/sizes/l/

Shooter
    35mm
    The extension of the bellows on an RZ67 is 45mm. With a 90mm lenses this will put you at 1:2, with the 140 macro lens this will be slightly more than 1/3rd life size.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    with a set of tubes #1 and #2, you can comfortably shoot macro with the 180.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would consider getting your feet wet with a Mamiya C series TLR and a Paramender. They are a very cheap, high versatility, and high quality entry into medium format. You get a square picture, and have a bellows. If you like the square format and like to shoot close ups, it is a good option, and will likely give you prints that are for all realistic intents and purposes indiscernible from those shot with a Hassy and a macro lens. If you want something more, move on to a Hassy later, or an RB if you decide that you are not into the 1:1 aspect ratio any more. At any rate, you won't be any more than $300 or so into your C system, and will be able to get that back if you sell it. If you decide to quit medium format after a while, your trials will not have been expensive.

If I had to pick between a Hassy and an RB for a general purpose camera, I would pick the RB, for many reasons, but mainly the larger negative, the aspect ratio, and the bellows...oh yeah: and the prices!

If I wanted something more simple and easily portable (which I do not) I might lean toward the Hassy. Even so, I thought the RB made a decent camera for hikes in the San Gabriels when I borrowed one. Then again, I was evaluating it as an alternative to large format, not to 35 or a Hassy.

Since you are interested in closeups, don't forget that Paramender! Mine is always on in the studio.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 10-21-2008 at 12:07 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I have a hassey and a Pentax 67 ii and both are great it is just what you plan to use it for. the Pentax is easier to carry walking around for quick shots. the hassey I almost always use a tripod and take a little more time with my shots. But there isn't anything that takes more time than a 8x20.
    "Capturing an image is only one step of the long chain of events to create a beautiful Photograph” See my updated website: mandersenphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I looked at both and bought the Hassy. A three lens set plus the camera made the mamiya system bigger and bulkier than a 4x5. I value lightweight and "packability". If I did not have a 4x5 and I stuck to studio work, I'd probably go with the Mamiya since it is a great system with a bigger, rectangular negative. Otherwise, assuming you have the money, I'd go with the Hassy with appropriate tubes or bellows.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought an RB67, 90mm, 180, 2X extender, prism, eye level finder, two backs, and filters. The first time I used it the backs leaked light, I got the seal kit and did the body and the two backs, now there are no leaks. It took a good outing to get used to the mirror up exposure but now that I have it down it's worth the effort. I took it along with my 5x7 on my recent Moab, Arches trip and now seeing the negatives I'm completely satisfied with my decision. It's not the lightest camera for sure, it's a brick with the prism, but the stability and capability of using my Grafmatic holders and Graphic backs gives it the added usability. The revolving back is not to be overlooked in the 6x7 format. I took advantage of that on the last shoot. On one outing I forgot my cable release and just put the mirror up and used the release button on the lens, very easy and no movement. I can't say that everyone will be comfortable with this camera, It fits my choice for the type of photographs I take. Brett Weston used one along with the Rollei SL66.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

sim

Shooter
    35mm
    Hallo all,

Many thanks for your replies & thoughts - much appreciated to hear from people who have actually used the gear. Still no clear answer but then I wasn't really expecting to find out what to do from the replies only, some useful things to consider though. Many thanks.

simo.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hello Simo,
    I agree with Andre´ the SL66 is far superior for macro work, its got
    the same Zeiss lenses like Hasselblad and is much more versatile in
    this direction. I use the S-Planar 120/5,6 which is incredibly sharp.
    The big disadvantage is it´s slow flash speed of 1/30s, so if you
    use flash for your portrait work, I recommend one of the other systems
    mentioned. There have been two Lenses with central shutter for the SL,
    but Hasselblad is much more dedicated when it comes to flash use.
    There has been an SL66 which offered TTL flash (SL66X) but only 500 units were built.
    Maybe you should think about getting two systems, a simple SL with the 80mm Planar or 120mm S-Planar and 40+80mm extension tubes is all you really need for macro! For Portraiture buy a 500cw or RZ.
    Make sure that the SL is in good, well maintained condition as
    they are between 25 and 40 years old now, and some may need service.

Andre´, your website is quite beautiful.

Greetz, Benjamin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin