Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,972   Posts: 1,558,686   Online: 887

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    sim

Shooter
    35mm

Hass or RB/RZ67?

Hallo,

I am contemplating a move into medium format & wondered if you could give any advice on choices??

Currently shoot on Canon 35mm with L spec lenses in black & white printing at home. Nowadays, mostly close-up flower/botanical stuff but with an interest in portraits as well.

My preference would be a Hass (for the Zeiss lenses) but am slightly concerned about the close focus capabilites of the lenses, esp. the 120 macro which is only around 1:4. I would prefer something around 1:2 before having to load on extension tubes or bellows. I believe the RB/RZ can focus closer with its built in bellows - how close? How does the quality compare?

Any thoughts welcome & I will try to answer any queries, though my posts might be a bit slow!

Cheers,simo.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There's the fantastic Rollei SL66 to look at, you can use that Zeiss glass you mentioned, good luck.

I use Hasselblad, but that SL66 system is wonderful also.

http://www.sl66.com/

André

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use an RZ and it is truly great. The close focus capability is pretty good too. But.... if I have to do it again I would really look at a Hasselblad 500's because they are so small in comparison. Having said that, when I got into SLR MF the Blad stuff was not affordable for me. Now, ofcourse the Blad stuff is nearly free compared to what it used to be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    On the RZ, the 90mm lens will focus at about 8 inches from the front of the lens, with good image quality.
    Both Hassy and RB/RZ are good systems and I think its more a matter of personal preference.

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sim View Post
    My preference would be a Hass (for the Zeiss lenses)
    then your choice is already made

I believe the RB/RZ can focus closer with its built in bellows - how close? How does the quality compare?
    they do, and they also are 6x7: the quality is amazing with their latest lenses, nothing to envy to hasselblad apart fame and size
    Luis Miguel Castañeda Navas
    http://imaginarymagnitude.net/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have you phyically handled both of them?

The RB/RZ has some definate advantages in features, but comes at a price in size and weight. Very much a personal decision.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I would also suggest that you consider costs for all the lenses that you might want to use. The Mamiya lenses are, at least in my experience, far easier to afford than the equivalent lenses for the Hasselblad. If you know what lenses you might want to have and you can afford them for either camera then forget my suggestion, but if not, it's something that you should at least consider.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    . Nowadays, mostly close-up flower/botanical stuff.
    How do you meter now? Do you use flash? If you use TTL metering and TTL flash make sure the body you are getting supports that.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Agree with points above. I've owned both. Currently own Hass. Some thoughts: older Hass lenses, which are now quite affordable, have shutters for which Hass is no longer making new parts. So, at some point, those parts will be harder to find than they are today. Not too worried about it, but if I were building a system today, I might steer towards the more modern CF lenses, at slightly higher prices, than the C lenses. RZ glass does seem to be less expensive than these CF lenses, especially for the wider and longer lenses.

Yes, the RB/RZ is bulkier, but we don't go into MF because it's portable. The format lends itself better to conventional paper sizes.

The glass looks different, too. I'd look at pictures made with both to see which you prefer. Quite a bit of Annie Liebowitz' work is done with RZ. When I look at her work it has a distinct look that I think has something to do with the glass (sure, lighting is a big part of it, her vision, yadda yadda...no argument).

I found that the RZ glass was noticeably sharper than the RB, but maybe it was just my samples.

Neal

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Re: the close focusing - there are Diopters available for the Hassy and Mamiya; Hasselblad calls them "Proxars".

With the proper diopter lens of good quality, you can expect excellent images without the bellows extension calculations/problems. I use them for both Hassy and RB67.

"Beer is proof that God wants us to be happy."

Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin