Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,971   Posts: 1,523,557   Online: 813

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I have a M6 and find it to be once in a life time camera. I have a 28 and a 90. this is my street camera. BUT i just got a Pentax 67II and even though it is a little heavier than the mamiya 7 which from my investigation is suppose to be a better camera I got this one. they both have there areas of use but getting rid of one for another isn't I think a replacement. I shoot from 35mm to 8x20 and everything I shoot with has it's own purpose. If I go down to the shrimp boats to photograph with my LF cameras and Ulf cameras you will get a certain % of shots. but a 6x7 will get a whole lot more and I'm not sure that it can't do as good a job.
    So that is my thoughts I hope it helps.
    "Capturing an image is only one step of the long chain of events to create a beautiful Photograph” See my updated website: mandersenphotography.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jmooney View Post
    Hi All,

I'm thinking of swapping my Leica M6 for a Mamiya 7. The obvoius gain is in negative real estate but what are the downsides? Has anyone made the switch? How did it go for you? My main use for the M6 is my everyday carry camera to shoot whatever may come, sort of my notebook of my life. It takes me about a month to go through a 24 exp roll of 135.

I pretty much only shoot with a 35 on my M so I was going to go with the 65mm lens and add the 150 in case I need something to get in close.

I'd appreciate any insight anyone can give.

Take care,

Jim

Jim,

I would encourage you to use and enjoy your camera more, whether it is the one you have or the one you are thinking about. To have so much invested in such a beautiful camera that you use to shoot your "Life" says, enjoy your life more. Make more things happen in your life or record more of the things that are happening, but not put on film.

It takes me an hour on average to make my first 7x17 image, but I am shooting more than 24 a month, and enjoying it immensely.

John Powers

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    What can I say??? I have a M6ttl and a 7II with 80mm and 43mm... Once I got the 7II, it is all I use now. The Leica is great but the 7II is better in all respects except fast lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have both cameras...an M2 and a Mamiya 7.

For me, the Leica feels superior in every way. Weight, heft, build...while the Mamiya is mostly plastic. A beautiful piece of plastic it is though, and gorgeous negatives.

But then there's that Leica shutter...perfect! Like a kiss!

The Mamiya shutter is so unsatisfying, like a toy really...enough for me to want to sell my Mamiya 7.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jmooney View Post
    Hi All,

I'm thinking of swapping my Leica M6 for a Mamiya 7. The obvoius gain is in negative real estate but what are the downsides? Has anyone made the switch? How did it go for you? My main use for the M6 is my everyday carry camera to shoot whatever may come, sort of my notebook of my life. It takes me about a month to go through a 24 exp roll of 135.

I pretty much only shoot with a 35 on my M so I was going to go with the 65mm lens and add the 150 in case I need something to get in close.

I'd appreciate any insight anyone can give.

Take care,

Jim
    I had am M3 at one time, and now would give anything to have it back. Am considering a M4-P or M6 one day. Nothing can compare to the beautiful bokeh from a Leica lens.

I've shot Mamiya 7 on Maui for weddings, and it can indeed be a big pain in the rear. Leica is the only camera to get the most from the 135 format. Nothing else compares. I've dropped 135 altogether, and shoot with Rollei TLRs and recently added a Mamiya M645 Pro (will be adding an M654 TL body very soon) setup as a replacement for the 135.

You may want to consider the 645 series as it is significantly cheaper than the 7, and just as good. Plus you will have 15 shots on a roll, which you may find easier to go through. As usual, KEH is the place.

Rolleijoe
    If the lens doesn't read "ZEISS", then it just isn't.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've never had a Leica but I do have a Mamiya 7 body, and I do think the grips on the 7 are horrible. Sorry can't help with anything else.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love all my Leica M gear but the Mamiya 7ii and it's lenses do give superb results.
    The big negs are os much easer to print.
    I use the Mamiya most of the time now instead of my Leica's, I get better prints from it.
    My Leica system may have to go when I've finished my stock of Kodak HIE.

Regards JON.
    I prefer it in the dark.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If your priority is photography, choose Mamiya, if your priority is camera, choose Leica.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    You can club someone in the head with a M6 if you need and put a dent in their skull. You are liable to break your Mamiya if you do that.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Endo View Post
    If your priority is photography, choose Mamiya, if your priority is camera, choose Leica.
    I don't think that one promotes devotion to photography over the other, really. Both can shoot great images. You should really think about how it is that you want to work.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin