Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,369   Online: 723

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Buying Trip

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't think you can go far wrong with any of the Mamiyas or Bronicas (or Hasselblads or Rolleis).

I bought a Bronica ETRS followed by an RB67. My initial plan was to sell the Bronica but I still have it as it is (relatively) small and gets used in different situations to the RB67.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is one eBay seller who does a lot of Bronica and gives a guarantee with them as well. I recommended them to Andy K and I believe he was very happy with the camera and the price. As said earlier however, he is also reducing his prices on a week by week basis, so set your price limit and wait for it .......

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/knobbyrobs-camera-corner

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by milkplus-mesto View Post
    I went up to London yesterday to try and sell some old lenses and buy a new lens in their place. Firstly, I went to a shop near Tottenham Court Road, and it was there that I had my suprise.

Medium format cameras are MASSIVE. I'd looked at the photos and gotten a rough idea of just how big I thought they were. I was wrong. They are true monsters, and more importantly... I want one!

So... What would you reccommend, a Bronica SQ-Am for £249 (Including 80mm and AE prism) or a Mamiya RZ67 (With 90mm and WLF) for somewhat more money (Around £400)
    I'd forget them both and go for a Rolleiflex TLR with Planar lens. My main Rollei is a 3.5E (as I shoot primarily around f/8-f/16 or f/22, a faster lens is of no use to me).

You get:
    1) light, comfortable camera, easy to use
    2) leaf shutter with flash sync at all speeds
    3) an extremely fast camera to use
    4) most importantly: Zeiss lenses, simply the best there are

Rolleijoe
    If the lens doesn't read "ZEISS", then it just isn't.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What you don't get, of course, is a chance to use another lens without having to buy another camera too.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    What you don't get, of course, is a chance to use another lens without having to buy another camera too.
    Once you shoot with Zeiss, there is no other lens. Just think of all the great images made by Matthew Brady with his ULF cameras, coating his own emulsion onto glass, and using one lens.

I don't understand this (relatively) modern notion that you need an f/1.8 lens with 3200asa film to get an image. I'd truly like to see some of the so-called "artists" who shoot these days try to make use of even a Leica 1a. They can't do it. Just too lost without their AE modes and AF cameras. Take the "A" out, and the "artist" goes with it.

Unless you can learn to get what you want by using only one lens, as thousands of photographers before the invention of "auto-everything", then you can not call yourself an "artist" in my book.

Rolleijoe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by milkplus-mesto View Post
    I can use it for 645 anyway.
    Then why not get an ETRSI instead? It'll be cheaper and smaller. Really not much different then a big 35mm [Say F4 or so in weight]

The RZ produces 6x7 negs. That is it's big advantage.

The Bronicas are smaller and bring more electronic smarts.

It all depends on what you intend to do.

Portraits on a tripod won't challenge a RZ.

OTOH if you're shooting handheld and trying to shoot quickly then the smaller cameras have advantages.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolleijoe View Post
    Unless you can learn to get what you want by using only one lens, as thousands of photographers before the invention of "auto-everything", then you can not call yourself an "artist" in my book.

Rolleijoe
    I blame Crayola. Used to be a black crayon was all you needed. Then kids got spoiled. Now it's spray paint this. Day glo that. I don't know :rolleyes:

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Once you shoot with Zeiss, there is no other lens.
    That must be then why Zeiss made only one le... uhm... hold on a moment!
    Why did Zeiss make so many different lenses? Lenses you can use on a Rollei too, as long as it is not a TLR?

You are confusing not having options with being an artist.
    Lenses are tools. Artists need the tools they need to accomplish what they want to accomplish. And if they need different lenses to do different things...
    There is no art in making do, though you rather would not.

That's why before the invention of auto-everything (is that another term for being able to use more lenses?), artists had a huge choice of lenses they could choose, and made good use of that choice too.

P.S.
    I thought i remembered, had a look, and i did: you have a Mamiya 645 too, haven't you?
    No Zeiss...
    And while making sure i remembered correctly, i came across you saying: "Nothing can compare to the beautiful bokeh from a Leica lens."
    Last edited by Q.G.; 11-03-2008 at 02:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    You are confusing not having options with being an artist.
    Lenses are tools. Artists need the tools they need to accomplish what they want to accomplish. And if they need different lenses to do different things...
    There is no art in making do, though you rather would not.

That's why before the invention of auto-everything (is that another term for being able to use more lenses?), artists had a huge choice of lenses they could choose, and made good use of that choice too.

P.S.
    I thought i remembered, had a look, and i did: you have a Mamiya 645 too, haven't you?
    No Zeiss...
    And while making sure i remembered correctly, i came across you saying: "Nothing can compare to the beautiful bokeh from a Leica lens."
    Nope, "auto-everything" means that the camera is chosing everything for you, including where critical focus lies.

I never said Zeiss only made 1 lens. Perhaps you misunderstood. Zeiss makes the best lenses in the world, and yes, there is an adaptor for shooting Zeiss lenses with the Mamiya M645 Pro.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't understand this (relatively) modern notion that you need an f/1.8 lens with 3200asa film to get an image.
    Me neither. Makes for interesting conversation, though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin