Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,955   Posts: 1,586,014   Online: 668

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Buying Trip

Shooter
    35mm

A Buying Trip

I went up to London yesterday to try and sell some old lenses and buy a new lens in their place. Firstly, I went to a shop near Tottenham Court Road, and it was there that I had my suprise.

Medium format cameras are MASSIVE. I'd looked at the photos and gotten a rough idea of just how big I thought they were. I was wrong. They are true monsters, and more importantly... I want one!

So... What would you reccommend, a Bronica SQ-Am for £249 (Including 80mm and AE prism) or a Mamiya RZ67 (With 90mm and WLF) for somewhat more money (Around £400)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by milkplus-mesto View Post

Medium format cameras are MASSIVE. I'd looked at the photos and gotten a rough idea of just how big I thought they were. I was wrong. They are true monsters, and more importantly... I want one!
    I keep all my 35 and MF cameras inside my LF cameras.:o

So... What would you reccommend, a Bronica SQ-Am for £249 (Including 80mm and AE prism) or a Mamiya RZ67 (With 90mm and WLF) for somewhat more money (Around £400)
    If it were me, I'd forgo the motor drive and go for the RZ if it is in fine shape, simply for the robustness and the lenses that are available, but that's just my preferences showing. Not respecting that, I'd go for the one in the best condition.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been shooting Mamiya more than twenty years, all I can say is if you're going to carry a body and a couple of lenses is , don't forget to budget for a truss for your hernia.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Looking at the online catalog, I think I'm veering towards the Bronica. It comes with an AE prism (which will save me a load of time), I love the square format, and I believe the lenses are far cheaper (£169 for the 250mm f/5.6), seeing as I mainly shoot portraits, it's my best option, I can use it for 645 anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by milkplus-mesto View Post
    Looking at the online catalog, I think I'm veering towards the Bronica. It comes with an AE prism (which will save me a load of time), I love the square format, and I believe the lenses are far cheaper (£169 for the 250mm f/5.6), seeing as I mainly shoot portraits, it's my best option, I can use it for 645 anyway.
    I wouldn't try to tempt you away from Bronica, but the SQ-Am is totally motor dependent and includes 2 kinds of battery, so there is perhaps an issue there for future repairs? Just a thought.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You might check around online. eBay is bound to be selling some low final auction prices the way the markets are. For that matter haggle a little for the Mamiya.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I've been shooting Mamiya more than twenty years, all I can say is if you're going to carry a body and a couple of lenses is , don't forget to budget for a truss for your hernia.
    I carry my Hasselblad, 50 mm lens, 80mm lens, 150mm lens, 250mm lens, 2x extender, filters, extension tubes, Nikon SB-800 strobe, and film in my backpack camera bag and call it part of my physical fitness program. :o

Sometimes I throw in the two Nikons with 20-35mm zoom, 28-200mm zoom, and 28-300mm zoom lenses.* :o:o:o

using analog photography to stay in shape,
    Steve

* That is not a typo. Each body has a 28mm-X00mm zoom and the 20-35mm zoom is shared!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Clearly there's a price below which the retailer won't go or he/she would be out of business but times are hard and getting harder and an offer is worth a try. The same is true of powersellers on e-bay who use a BIN and I expect a lot of BIN prices to fall. I haven't kept stats but already I think I have seen more re-listings than a few months ago and I expect the BINs to fall further. Other sellers who simply auction and hope for a reasonable price might also be disappointed. I have seen a couple of real bargains. This is especially the case when reading between the lines it's relatives selling job lots of a deceased enthusiast's equipment. I don't think we have reached the bottom yet in the UK on e-bay, especially with the need to generate cash for Xmas.

Only an example and not directly related to your needs but how about a Durst M605 enlarger, a RH Designs Analyser Pro, a Duka 50 sodium lamp, a Photon Beard 4 bladed easel and three trays. Starting price £199 and it got one bidder. It was collect only. If it hadn't been Sussex and I didn't have a 605 and Duka anyway I might have been tempted to have bid and then driven all the way there.

In effect with one bidder the seller was robbed.

Unless you are in a hurry, I'd keep a watch on MF cameras for a few months. It could be to your advantage.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post

Unless you are in a hurry, I'd keep a watch on MF cameras for a few months. It could be to your advantage.

pentaxuser
    I'd been thinking about that, with things the way they are, and cameras being "luxury" items and all, they're bound to fall a bit during this ol' recession.

At my local "photographic society"/camera club, there's a chance to swap old magazines. I got hold of one from 2004, and was really shocked by some of the prices they charged back then.

Time is on my side, so I'll wait it out.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post

Only an example and not directly related to your needs but how about a Durst M605 enlarger, a RH Designs Analyser Pro, a Duka 50 sodium lamp, a Photon Beard 4 bladed easel and three trays. Starting price £199 and it got one bidder. It was collect only. If it hadn't been Sussex and I didn't have a 605 and Duka anyway I might have been tempted to have bid and then driven all the way there.

In effect with one bidder the seller was robbed.
    pentaxuser
    On a similar note, I bought my M605 with Two 8mm projectors, an 8/16mm film editor and five 35mm slide projectors (four identical, one different) each with identical kodak 75-200mm lenses. Add to this £10 for a Canon EOS 650 with 35-70mm lens and you've got the perfect start in 35mm photography for the princely sum of...

£90

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin