Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,498   Posts: 1,543,112   Online: 1034

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    Being non german this might be stupid but isn't it the German language way to add words on to other words and make really long words.
    We do that in swedish too. It's often necessary.

En glasflaska = "A glass bottle".

If we wrote "En glas flaska", the word "glas" becomes an adjective.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Eierschalensollbruchstellenverursacher.
    a kitchen utensil that defines where an eggshells has to break :-)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Tonbandwiedergabetaste: play button on a cassette player;

Heckausgleichsgetriebesperrenhauptschalter: main switch for rear differential lock -- found in:

Expeditionsgeländewagen: expedition off road vehicle, equipped with:

Zweitstromkreislaufshauptbatterie: main battery for auxiliary electrical circuit, which I use to power a fridge which I use to keep film and barley-ethanol based adult beverage at optimum temperature when engaged in the business of photo safaris.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    agree with dpurdy comment...

#3 is too much and here a through the actual lens viewing is a "must" ... the #2 is kind of compromise ... doable, needs some imagination to compensate not only for the frame (which is done by prism inside the upper rolleinar) but also for the quite substantial perspective difference at those distances (closer than about 50cm)...
    #1 is indeed a "must" to make the rolleiflex a real standard and versatile camera (as it really is and supposed to be)... it allows focusing from about 50cm to 1m (19" to 3 feet) ... this rolleinar allows close ups, feeling the frame with many common object, and most importantly it is great for portraits, giving a range of about typical head&shoulder portrait back and forth. the quality is simply supreme, no practically visible reduction in quality and the "look" is great...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Back on topic: I agree with vic vic 100%. I have a set of Rolleinar 1s for my 2.8A, and the portraits I'm extracting are most agreeable. Can't speak for the Planars and the Xenotars, but the bokeh that emerges from that Tessar is quite something, buttery smooth and just so, while the in-focus areas are sharp as a tack; just the thing for portraits, especially in low light -- faces, lit carefully, sort of loom out of the shadows. I may have the lenses coated at some stage to improve contrast, but so far, I'm happy as a clam.

Now if only the shutter were less recalcitrant...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    You know, I once saw either photos or a film of Richard Avedon using a Rolleiflex on a tripod to take portraits. He was very close to the subject -- I'd say within five feet -- and I could see that the lenses on the Rollei looked longer than normal. What I can't figure is whether he was using a Tele-Rollei or a regular Rollei with a set of Rolleinars. Seems to me that the former is more likely, because the images don't have that slightly distorted look from using a normal lens/Rolleinar for close-in portraits. Does anyone know for certain? (Admittedly, my own estimate that he was five feet away would seem to rule out Rolleinars....)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I am not sure but I think 5 feet would rule out the tele as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin