Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,690   Posts: 1,548,827   Online: 1048

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Flash options for Bronica SQ-A speed grip mounting

I've been asking about flashes for a Bronica SQ-A that I recently purchased (and have yet to pick up) in the lighting forum but thought I would ask any Bronica users what sort of flash they might use that they can easily mount on their speed grip.

I must mention again that I'm fairly new to the scene with the bulk of my eperience having aged for the last eight years...so I'm doing a lot of this

I was suggested a Metz 45 CT/CL -4, but I can't mount that and I'm really just looking for portability here and I'd like to be able to put the speed grip on my system to use. High-power is not crucial nor is a super-fast recycling time. I'm definitely interested in build quality and don't mind if the flash adds a bit if extra weight - I would prefer that then to have something that I have to worry a lot over.

Any suggestions or directions to relevant threads would be greatly appreciated.
    -dereck|james|gignac
    dereckjamesgignac.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have been using a Metz 54mz-3 with some success. I would recommend getting a hand held meter that does ambient & flash for best results.

I have an SQ-A & SQA-M & neither have the otf flash capability of the SQ-Ai.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use a Sunpak 383. It's powerful and accurate, but the build quality isn't that inspiring. It can take a high-voltage cable from a Quantum or Jackrabbit pack.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the suggestions jime & psvensson, I'll seriously take them into consideration. I really am in need of a meter anyhow as I have access to a Mamiya c330 that isn't being put to enough use.

Much obliged.
    -dereck|james|gignac
    dereckjamesgignac.com

Images
    I use a classic Vivitar 283 on my speed grip. The Sunpack 383 is a clone of the 283. I can set the 283 on auto, pick the f stop I want and then set the shutter speed to match the ambient light. Fill flash made easy.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by r-brian View Post
    I use a classic Vivitar 283 on my speed grip. The Sunpack 383 is a clone of the 283. I can set the 283 on auto, pick the f stop I want and then set the shutter speed to match the ambient light. Fill flash made easy.
    What particular Bronica model did you use that for r-brian? Will that technique work all across the ETR/SQ/GS line? I have a Sunpak 383 and you just gave me a good idea (but I do have to get a speed grip first).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the suggestion r-brian, I just put a bid in (e*ay...yet again) on a V 285 that's listed within Canada. I have a good feeling about it - plus it's way within my budget so I'll have a better chance of picking up another lens soon
    -dereck|james|gignac
    dereckjamesgignac.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lomomagix View Post
    What particular Bronica model did you use that for r-brian? Will that technique work all across the ETR/SQ/GS line? I have a Sunpak 383 and you just gave me a good idea (but I do have to get a speed grip first).
    I have a SQa. But, since the whole line of Bronicas utilize leaf shutters and leaf shutters sync at all speeds, the fill flash works with all of them. I've used this method in the harsh New Mexico sun. Set my 283 at f5.6, the lens at f5.6 and the shutter speed at 1/500, 100 speed film, and chased my little girl around the playground firing away. Filled in the shadows under her hat, balanced the bright background with the areas under the play equipment that were in shadows.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Light meters?

So, in the realm of light meters, is there anything I should look out for (again I'm really just at the beginning of my knowledge here)? Are there brands that might be recommended? I'm probably going to pick up that Vivitar 385 flash.

I'd be willing to shell out $80-$100 (CAD) for the meter...so...again not looking for the best thing out there for now, just something to get me started.

Thanks once again!
    -dereck|james|gignac
    dereckjamesgignac.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why do you need a flash meter? In auto mode the flash will meter itself. I wonder how many people are using flash meters with on camera flashes. They're mostly for people using stand alone lighting [strobes]

The Sekonic 308 is one of the cheapest new flash meters and it's something like 2x your budget.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin