Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,828   Online: 761

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Compare: Hasselblad, Rollei SL66, Rolleiflex?

I'm know I'm seeking an objective answer to a subjective question here, but I'm wondering if anyone has shot with all three of these and what their thoughts are on how they compare in different fields (sharpness, tones, durability, functionality, etc.).
    It figures that as I finally complete my Hasselblad system, I'm looking into Rollei and Rolleiflex systems. I know the only real way to do this is to borrow or buy them, but considering I live in the most Northern metropolis in Canada, it's unlikely that there's people up here that have that equipment to trade for a couple weeks and I don't have thousands of dollars for experiments.
    Any advice? Is there a good site even that compares and shows examples of different lenses and films? I know photosig.com has some, but no one there shoots film anymore, so the examples are never updated.

I know there will be lots of comments on this one, so thanks in advance....Jordan.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not as convinced as you are that there is really something to discuss here. Both Zeiss and Schneider optics in cameras of this class are superb. You can look for yourself to find MTF data, etc. but you'll probably not be able to find any significant differences. Same with sample pictures... probalby won't really tell you much. A lot depends on how the camera was used (tripod, etc, etc). There are many variable that will make visual comparison difficult or impossible. It might be better for you to compare 'ergonomics', cost, and availability. On those criteria, I'd say 'Hasselblad'.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If your about to complete your Hasselblad system what do you want to achieve by comparing to Rollei's/Rolleiflexes, the optics are all equally as good, any minor differences not really worth bothering about.

Do you want to find the Hasselblad inadequate

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Jordan,
    As I have just purchased a Hasselblad 905 SWC, I am still curious about a Rollei.

But I honestly feel that the Hasselblad system is the best medium format set up there is for just about every kind of photography.

If you are looking to get down to bare minimum and just use one lens, one back kind of thing, get a 60mm for the Hasselblad and you will be very happy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ... and as counterpoint to David... My most frequent one-lens-one-back solution is A-12 and 150mm on a 501CM. Different strokes, I guess!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    All the names at the table are top quality optically speaking, they share the same optical manufacturer and the rollei add Schneider Kreuznach to the game.

As far as I´m concerned, the SL66 is far superior to the Hasselblad in close range, but the swedish system is lighter than the SL series.

Rolleiflexes are wonderful cameras, but of fixed optics, therefore, lose to the flexibility of the interchangeable V system and SL one. On the other hand, it's much lighter and portable.

If you wish metering, the Hasselblad has more options in their line-up, the SL66 had one low run produced model I think, but quite difficult to find nowadays and with an amazing price tag on it.

Just some examples of how the names you mentioned, can be superior or inferior to each other, depending on what you favor to suit your needs.

Good luck

André
    Last edited by André E.C.; 11-08-2008 at 04:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You might find this comparison useful:
    http://www.hevanet.com/cperez/test/fourcameras.html

Images
    I don't have Hasselblad, so I will speak to the SL66 and Rollei. The SL66 is great on a tripod, the 80mm Planar is more than sharp enough, the view screen is a pleasure, I use the front tilt feature regularly, and closeup work with the one lens is a breeze. My tlr is a Rollei with Tessar 3.5, and gives a sharp, but more old-time look to the photos than the Planar. With the tlr, I can load up a roll of HP5+ and shoot handheld on a hike with a rig that is lighter than my Canon F1. The tlr also works well on the tripod. So for me, these two cameras serve different purposes, and I enjoy them both.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Rollei SL66 negatives are bigger then Hasselblad's, 5,8 square cm versus 5,5 square cm .....

JJ

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    With your setup nearly complete I wouldn't change now. There's just not enough differences in the capabilities of the systems (without counting metering or the AF Rollie) to spend the money. I've shot two of three. Personally I think the SLR Rollei is a better machine except for that dang noisy motor drive unless you really need it. I preferred my Hassy in that respect. The Rollie GG is bigger and better and the incorporated metering great. The Hasselblad body and lens gave me too much forward weight in the hand whereas the Rollei sat more upright. I also liked the incorporated dark slide with the Rollie. Overall getting used Rollei stuff, if you go that way, sometimes isn't too easy, or cheap. At least with Hasselblad you can rent easily and there's plenty online to buy.
    W.A. Crider

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin