Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,337   Posts: 1,682,119   Online: 1026

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That's almost identical to the setup I have. I supplemented with a metering prism when the prices were at the bottom, so I have
    ETRS
    grip
    75mm
    150mm
    40mm
    E28 extension tube (yes, that's what it is)
    metering prism
    prism
    WLF
    2x 120 backs
    135W back.

Wonderful camera, great lenses.

Enjoy.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by milosz View Post
    sounds like a great deal!...why have these gone down so much? hasselblad seem to hold on much better...
    Because Bronica is out of business, Hasselblad is not

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a very extensive Bronica ETRSi outfit which was purchased new, and used extensively for portrait and wedding work before digital (and Bronica demise) made the used equipment worth a small fraction of the new price. If you have questions, I probably can answer them!

E-28 is the middle size extension tube (14, 28, 42mm) ...I found the E-14 much more useful to have, but then I am not a macro nut. The shortest tube allows me to get closer with the 150mm for tighter headshots, for example.

My gear includes: ETRSi, speed grip, motor winder, AE-III finder, right angle finder, sports finder, WLF, 40mm, 50mm, 75mm, 150mm, 250mm, 45-90mm, 2x convertor, E-14 tube, 120 and 220 backs and inserts, TTL adapter for Metz flash

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltw View Post
    Because Bronica is out of business, Hasselblad is not
    It already was so before Bronica disappeared.
    (Even more so, in fact, but now Hasselblad prices have dropped hugely too.)

The reason?
    Bronica is Bronica. Hasselblad is Hasselblad.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think Hasselblad has dropped pretty significantly as well, at least for a basic setup with maybe a 50mm/your favorite normal/a short tele and a couple of backs. It gets expensive when you want a 40mm or 300mm lens.

With Bronica, you can get all that and more, and it's still pretty cheap. You can find a bellows with full view camera movements on the front standard for the S2a and EC-TL for around $250. Compare that to a Flexbody or Arcbody.

So if you had, say, $1200 to spend, would you make better photographs with a small Hassy kit or a more extensive Bronica kit? Would you get better results with two Hassy backs and two film speeds or five Bronica backs and Zone System control? Depends how you shoot, I suppose. In the current market, if one is shooting 6x6, it might make the most sense to get a basic V system and a Bronica for all the lenses and accessories that are unaffordable from Hassy.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    It already was so before Bronica disappeared.
    (Even more so, in fact, but now Hasselblad prices have dropped hugely too.)

The reason?
    Bronica is Bronica. Hasselblad is Hasselblad.
    I had not done this analysis since the late 1990's, but in that time frame, the Bronica held a higher percentage of the new price on the used market, suffering a lower percentage of depreciation!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You got a very good deal!

I have an ETRS with the 40mm MC, 75mm MC and the 150mm MC. Excellent camera and glass - you'll be very impressed.

You can find the users manual at the Tamron site, or at butkus.org. You'll want to download a copy and read it before your camera arrives.

always make sure the lens is cocked before changing lenses (the little tabs on the back of the lens should be next to the green dots.)

You'll probably want to get a new battery for it. The size is PX-28, and the silver oxide batteries are recommended over the alkalines, both for longevity and voltage stability.

Enjoy your new camera!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltw View Post
    I had not done this analysis since the late 1990's, but in that time frame, the Bronica held a higher percentage of the new price on the used market, suffering a lower percentage of depreciation!
    There have been times, not long ago, that you could sell a used Hasselblad kit for more than you had paid for it years earlier.
    Whether that meant making a profit or not depended on inflation during the period, but with Hasselblad raising prices for their new stuff twice yearly, dragging the prices of used equipment up too, it was tough not to beat inflation.
    So even though you only paid a percentage of the current new price, you paid more for used stuff than it had cost when it had been bought new.

Nowadays, no more. Used-Hasselblad prices too have plummeted.

What has not plummeted however is the usefullness of used Hasselblad and Bronicas (and ...). As long as they are in good condition, they will be great to use for many years to come.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    My guess as to why prices are so depressed on journeyman-level 645 gear is likely explained by nearly every pro who once shot weddings with them having bailed due to the film costs and relative turnaround times v. every newly minted professional wannabe coming in with digital. The film-based wedding pros have either retired or gone digi to survive. But up until that huge shift, the entrenched popularity of MF for weddings vs 35mm (the 90's standard for other events) had mostly to do with fast and medium speed print film having just too much grain to enlarge from 35mm beyond about 5x7. ISO 800 film or faster for no-flash-rule church interiors was often a necessity. What's telling here about this glut in Bronica 645 equipment is the metering AE-III finders are still rare enough pieces to bring $400 themselves; seems few were using these bodies with anything but print film where a large measure of exposure latitude meant metering was not very critical.

Pity, because I'm convinced that 645 format is extremely capable with modern ultra-fine grained transparency film. Too bad for the guy taking 10 cents on the dollar-- great turn of events for the rest of us who were once put off from using MF by the high-bar-to-entry prices back in the day.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Like I keep saying Bronica prices are UP over the last year. I bought bodies and WLF from KEH for $49. I want to say I even got one for a touch less. The same thing is selling for over $100 now. So even the common stuff is up. But the rare stuff was going up even last year.

The metering prism is good for more then slides. Couple it with the TTL flash module. Let the prism meter for you. The flash will get the foreground right. The prism will get the rest right. But for general use the thing is a pretty heavy blob to lug around. It's alot easier to bring a handheld meter of some type.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin