Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,218   Posts: 1,532,191   Online: 960

Shooter
    Medium Format

Problem with Mamiya 645 Super

Hey everyone,

A friend of mine gave me her camera to try and figure out a problem with it. Every time we load a roll of 120 film... the motorized winder winds the film forward and doesn't stop at the starting position like its supposed to. It stops around the 5 mark, then if you press the shutter again, it winds forward another 6 or 7 frames.... and then again to the end, until the entire roll has run through, and not a single shot has been taken.

Does anyone know whats wrong? Does it need to be repaired? Or what?

thanks,

David

Shooter
    Medium Format
    correction to my message.... its a Mamiya 645 Pro, not super.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yeah it needs repaired. I don't know what's causing it. The body's gears are probably slipping, otherwise it wouldn't wind that far. The motor keeps winding till the body tells it to stop.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might want to see if it does this with only one particular back, or with any back. At least that way you could isolate the problem. It sounds like the gear problems could be in the back, which can be replaced at a fairly low cost.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The problem is almost definitely in the back. I have one of these backs that I converted to a pinhople camera, and stopping for each exposure is a function performed in the film back. Check to make sure the insert is working properly, and then replace the back.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    gentlemen. thank you, but if this is the cause of the problem, then its both backs, as I have tried both, and it does the same thing for both. So perhaps its the gearing in the camera?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Did you use different inserts in each back?

Have you tried running film through the back with it off the camera? Load the film, twist the knob until it stops, should stop on the #1. To release the latch push the little pin near where the film is exposed and you can twist the knob again to #2, etc. I can't remember what happens if you hold the pin in and try to wind past the next frame, that could be a possible cause, but at least this way you can isolate between camera body and film back.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin