Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,927   Posts: 1,585,158   Online: 847

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nsouto View Post
    If you want portable medium format AND flash synch at higher speeds AND interchangeable lenses AND a price around $300, there is really only one solution: the Mamiya C series. C220 or C330. Entry point price is low, you can expand lenses later as needed. And it is still reasonably portable.
    This (the Mamiya C330) has replaced my DSLR (a Canon Digital Rebel XTi) as my primary camera system. I still use the Canon from time to time, but when I grab "the" camera bag, it's the one with the Mamiya in it.

Carrying a meter with this camera is a must, unless you only shoot outdoors under conditions where Sunny 16 applies (example of this camera used with Sunny 16, using HP5+ film). It has no internal meter in its standard configuration. 100% mechanical. I've used it with my strobist gear at high sync speeds, no problem.

It's a bit on the heavy side. A Rolleiflex or Yashica Mat 124G would certainly be lighter. In fact I'd very much like to get one of these lighter TLR's for my frequent long walkabouts in downtown Raleigh. It's entirely about weight, and about being hopelessly obsessive about acquiring new toys. I'd still very much prefer to continue using my Mamiya for model shoots and portraiture.

The C330 is certainly a very friendly camera to use. Double check your shutter speed because it's easy to bump by accident when adjusting aperture.

I frequently use my Mamiya with a Vivitar 285HV flash stuck to the cold shoe on the side of the camera, and a PC cord to connect it to the camera. This flash seems to be a good combination with the Mamiya, providing everything from gentle fill to illuminating a large room.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by viridari View Post
    A Rolleiflex or Yashica Mat 124G would certainly be lighter. In fact I'd very much like to get one of these lighter TLR's for my frequent long walkabouts in downtown Raleigh. It's entirely about weight, and about being hopelessly obsessive about acquiring new toys. I'd still very much prefer to continue using my Mamiya for model shoots and portraiture.
    I'm about to make the reverse move : my Yashica 124 or Rolleiflex have become "the" camera (a great factor is that they sit in the living room, so it takes me 15" to grab a camera and go), but I'd like interchangeable lenses and a faster normal lens (my rollei is a 3.5 and I sometimes feel limited by this (as you said, it's also about getting new toys))
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin