Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,065   Posts: 1,611,706   Online: 859

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Anybody an idea of the quality of the Arax camera's??
    Sure, I could give you a boring explanation who I really am but I rather let the Origami do the talking.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmmm apparently Hartblei do not do the super rotator anymore. Looks like Arax is the only choice...does anyone know whether the tilt-shift would work with a 2x teleconverter? Would it effectively become a 90mm f7 Tilt Shift lens or would it behave differently....K

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Goose View Post
    Anybody an idea of the quality of the Arax camera's??
    I've got one of these , and it is a much better camera than I expected. Had to oil and adjust the shutter recently, works again like new.

The loading of the film was tricky until I got the hang of it: it needs to be right up against the top edge of the guides and both reels need to be correctly seated all the way in on the spindles at the top of the body. Once I figured that out, no problems whatsoever with the film advance: every frame spot-on and the winding mechanism becomes very smooth.

MLU works a treat to avoid the shakes: the mirror is not as well dampened as for example the rb67.
    Flash synch speed - 1/30 - is a bit low by modern standards but then it's the same as the Pentax 6X7, so there! And if you want high flash synch this is the wrong product anyway: you need a leaf shutter.

There is slight variation in fast shutter speeds, around 1/3 of a stop. Not enough to make things real bad with Astia but enough to make a visible difference with b&w. Can live with it, though.

The standard 80/2.8 lens is so-so with slide film, reasonably good with b&w. The meter is centre-weighted and surprisingly, spot-on. Don't quite like the two led indicator: a needle makes a lot more sense to me... Have compared it with an F6 and it's right on the money 9 times out of 10.

It's heavy but nowhere near as much as the Pentax 6X7, for example. Shooting with it is not unobtrusive, sound-wise! Without a doubt a "noisy" camera: sh-KLUnk-sh!

Quality attainable with the Sonnars and Flektogons is just amazing.
    Overall taking into account the price and the lenses I can use in this thing, I'm incredibly happy with it.

Of course, all disclaimers up: YMMV, DAMHIKT, no animals hurt while testing this product - except for the dang spider squished while changing film on the park bench...
    Cheers
    Noons (Nuno Souto)
    Gallery here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin