Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,011   Online: 1176

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, yes there's the sync issue. I don't use flash that much but it would be handy. I shot a wedding* for a friend with the pentax a few weeks back with the pentax.
    Anyway, I've been shooting with the bronica Sq and I find myself switching films while on the same setup while the camera is on the tripod. I like having the option to change it up like I do when shooting large format. This would be a pain to do with two separate Pentax bodies.
    I also like the fact that I can do several hour exposures with the Bronica system and not have to worry about the shutter closing due to dead batteries.
    I may just sell the SQ system, get a small GS-1 kit and try it out.

*I've shot a few and every time I swear it'll be my last.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Between-cell leaf shutters usually increase the minimum focusing distance versus lenses without. Not sure if the GS lenses do but the Bronica ETRSi lenses were at a disadvantage versus Pentax ones especially on the wides. Which, for near-far perspective shots with a WA, I found to be a significant disadvantage.

Re: the need for leaf shutters, the only time that I find slow outdoor fill-flash sync to be a problem is at midday. But I tend to shoot midday only when shooting scheduled events, for hire. Horses for courses. I no longer use film for much of this sort of shooting; even though I have an F5 that'll sync at 1/300s I nowadays tend to do events and PJ "filmlessly" and these cameras sync at any speed...

I save film for better/lower light. Against a nice sunrise/sunset backdrop, 1/60s is not such an impediment.

And if a change in formats appeals to the OP, particularly since he has a set of Pentax lenses he likes already, he might consider getting the adapter to use additional dirt-cheap 645 bodies or reasonably priced 645N ones. The 67>645 lens adapter with a 67 lens on a 645 meters wide open, supposedly retains all lens and metering functionality. (Also the P645's are now cheaper used than many MF backs alone, come with integrated motordrive, prism. The N version has CW, spot, and Matrix metering. Eminently handholdable.)
    Last edited by Pupfish; 11-13-2008 at 06:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Budding View Post
    You forgot the leaf shutter lenses that flash sync at all speeds. That, by itself, would be enough reason for me to change.
    Thanks Robert-

How could I have missed that one? About one third of my shooting with the GS-1 was in studio using a trusty 2403b Speedotron strobe set-up. The ability to change synch times opens up numerous creative possibilities.

Which reminds me, there is a Bronica dedicated auto-flash unit available for the GS-1. Would be nice for candids or insurance work- or those times when that single-malt Scotch has made point-and-shoot photography an attractive alternative.
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Thanks Ole-

Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    He isn't. All he says is that Zenzanon lenses are among the very very best.
    Well put!
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin