Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,185   Online: 1134

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Light meter - any suggestion?!?!?!

Hello everyone,
    I recently approached to medium format photography, buying a Mamiya C220 and a Rollecord IV..Therefore I am an aboslute beginner..At the moment, I measure the exposure through one of my SLR and I am now trying to buy a proper hand light meter.
    Would you have any type to suggest? Would it be better choice a incident light or reflective light meter??
    I am kinda lost
    Thanks for your kind support!!
    Mirko

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Mirko,
    Lots of them out there.Why don't you use our Forum pages to find one that may work for you?
    Click forums,scroll down to exposure and type in "meters".Better minds than mine have posted their thoughts.

Mike

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Mirko,
    A while back I acquired a Rolleiflex T and Weston Master V meter as part of a package. The meter was still in its original packaging with a price sticker of £13 and an odd number of pence that suggested the price was a decimal conversion from a previous price in pounds, shillings and pence and put the date therefore at around the time of UK decimilisation - 1969/70/71. Given that the meter was 35+ years old, I approached it cautiously, but I needn't have worried as the negatives from the Rollei were as well exposed as one would hope. Like Mike, I'm not professing any great knowledge of hand-held meters, but can only say that that combination worked for me!
    Best wishes,
    Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kennedy View Post
    Hi Mirko,
    Lots of them out there.Why don't you use our Forum pages to find one that may work for you?
    Click forums,scroll down to exposure and type in "meters".Better minds than mine have posted their thoughts.

Mike

Hi Mike,
    Yep, that could be the easiest way!
    Thanks a lot, I will go to have a look right now!
    Thanks
    Mirko

Polybun
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirko Lazzarin View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I recently approached to medium format photography, buying a Mamiya C220 and a Rollecord IV..Therefore I am an aboslute beginner..At the moment, I measure the exposure through one of my SLR and I am now trying to buy a proper hand light meter.
    Would you have any type to suggest? Would it be better choice a incident light or reflective light meter??
    I am kinda lost
    Thanks for your kind support!!
    Mirko

Anything that says Gossen!

No seriously... anything that says Gossen, if you can afford things that say gossen. That said, the cheap little seikonics work good, i'm told.

I've got a Gossen Super Pilot in CDS (god i want one in sds isntead!). CDS meters will probably still be acurate, but are slow slow slow in low light. SDS is prefered i'm told.. i dunno.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Meters do appear frequently in the classifieds here. If you can find a modern Gossen theyb are always a good choice.

Beware Westons, the Selenium cells are often shot and will cost you £60 to get fixed, although you might be lucky like Steve.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used a Minolta IVF (incident and flash meter) with a reflective spot meter attachment for 10 years with great results. I recommend it with no hesitation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The question is whether you want an incident light meter or reflected (usually spot) light meter. Shortly after I got my Rolleiflex T I got myself the Gossen Digisix. I would have prefered to have also a spot metering mode (Digisix is incident + 30 degree reflected meter), but icident metering is the one I use most of the time and the meter is extremely easy to use. It is also very small (you just do not notice those few grams hanging around your neck) and offeres another features like clock, timer and thermometer. I am satisfied.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most meters except for the most basic can do incident or reflective readings. The Gossens are more convienient than many of the Westons and Sekonics as the diffuser for incident reading is built in, rather than a separate piece.
    The later model Gossen Lunasix (not sure of the specific designation) uses currently available 9V batteries which is a big advantage over the older meters that require mercury cells, unless they've been modified.
    As Ian points out, used market Selenium cell meters are a little risky, but if you find a good one they are great, since there are no battery worries.
    Recently I bought a lot of 5 old Westons to obtain one particular one in the lot, but none of them are accurate.
    My recommendation would be a Lunasix or Luna Pro SBC (the U.S. name for it).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'd recommend the Sekonic 308S - great little meter that can do incident, reflected, and flash. I believe there MAY be a spot meter attachment available for it, but if you just want something pocketable, highly functional, and inexpensive, the 308S is the ticket. Uses a single AA battery (nothing exotic or proprietary), and is accurate to 1/10th fstop (might seem overkill for negatives, but if you shoot transparencies, it's a must). New they're available for under $200 USD from B&H. If the used market is your thing, Sekonic made another meter that was a step up from the 308, the 408, but it is now discontinued. The 408 can do spot metering with a 5 degree spot for both flash and ambient, as well as incident and standard reflected metering. It has a more rugged, weatherproof housing, and a memory function to make it easier to determine contrast ranges. Not quite sure what they're going for on Ebay these days, but they shouldn't be too terribly much more than a new 308S.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin