Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,555   Posts: 1,545,010   Online: 700

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moskva 5

Shooter
    Pinhole

First Roll

Finally...8-9 months later, I shot a roll, and 'went the wrong way' metering shadows and ADDING stops instead of taking away...all overexposed...maybe I can scan negs and at least look at them that way. Duh...

Still haven't been able to tighten the rivets. I had a tool made and I wanted too much flexibility for everycamera and didn't work.

Reworking the tool so it's stronger and will try again.
    Murray

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    not to drive you away for this fine forum, but- there is a group of knowledgable
    Russian camera owner/users/repairers at ;

http://www.beststuff.com/forum/index.php?f=25
    "Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray@uptowngallery
    Hello, OP.nV in particular:

Some of the links on Alfed's Camera page explicitly note the coated optics and the Russian letter that designates coated optics; a red Cyrillic version of the English (I don't know if it's really English) 'p' that looks vaguely like pi, depending on the font, and is described as an 'upside down 'n' ' visually.

Murray
    Just a few comments:

I have a pretty much complete set of Moskva Cameras, including the Moskva 1. All of them are of post WW-II manufacture and all have coated lenses.

The cyrillic character (the upside down "n") simply indicates that the lens is an "Industar." It is a quite decent Tessar design lens.

The weakest point of the camera design is the strut support system for the folding bed/bellows assembly. The struts are easily bent and can cause lens/film plane misalignment.

The Moskvas are good picture takers if everything is properly aligned and functioning correctly. However IMO the best Russian MF Folder is the second model of the Iskra
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    Just a few comments:

I have a pretty much complete set of Moskva Cameras, including the Moskva 1. All of them are of post WW-II manufacture and all have coated lenses.

The cyrillic character (the upside down "n") simply indicates that the lens is an "Industar." It is a quite decent Tessar design lens.
    Yes, that 'N mirror image' letter stand for an uppercase "I" but the red, uppercase, "pi" letter was used in the 50's and earlier 60's by the soviets to mean that the lens was single coatted, it appears on my Jupiter-3 (1964), Jupiter-8 (1956), Jupiter-9 (1959), Industar-24 (1957) but not on my Jupiter-8M (1977), Helios-103 (1983) and Jupiter-12 (1984). I think they stopped to mark the lens around 1972/72. It was sexy to have a single coated lens in the 50's and 60's.

Pedro

Shooter
    Pinhole
    I signed onto the Best Stuff forum, too.

I'm determined to tighten those rivets and 'stop the flop' in the front standard.

Murray
    Murray

Shooter
    35mm
    I have added some pictures taken with my Moskva-5's to the galery on Best
    Stuff, they both seem fine regards focusing, only one of them seems to have
    a slight light leak on the left side

Shooter
    Pinhole

Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by vazquez
    I have added some pictures taken with my Moskva-5's to the galery on Best
    Stuff, they both seem fine regards focusing, only one of them seems to have
    a slight light leak on the left side
    I'll go have a look!
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

moskva 5

I've got a "4" and am very pleased with it as I only paid $69 for it. I had some trouble with the lens focusing properly but once I disassemble and cleaned every thing it works great. I've made some 11x14 enlargements
    of images I took in San Fransico and was very pleased with the sharpness and contrast. And you can fold it up and wstick it in your pocket!
    No escaping it!
    I must step on fallen leaves
    to take this path

Shooter
    Medium Format

My Moskva 5 experience

My Moskva 5 body is just OK, looks better since I painted the top plate with black wrinkle-finish paint, tho the eyepiece fell out somewhere. But the lens is an absolute gem!

I've used many, many cameras of all formats and manufacturers, and this 105 Industar truly is equal to the very best medium or large format lenses I've ever dealt with, in both sharpness and contrast, out to about 6x7. It truly is spectacular; I can shoot leaves against the bright sun, and they are THERE.

It is so good, matter of fact, that I'm close to mounting it in a Horseman lens board and using it on my 985. I wouldn't even take it apart, lest I change the spacing. This must be an example of one of the statistical few that came out right; I wish I had more of them on decent bodies.

Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Agiyo
    I've used many, many cameras of all formats and manufacturers, and this 105 Industar truly is equal to the very best medium or large format lenses I've ever dealt with, in both sharpness and contrast, out to about 6x7.
    While I am quite fond of my Moscva 5, I wouldn't got that far on the lens.

Below is a picture of a house, and two pictures of the house number. The really sharp one is a Kodak 105mm. Reputedly one of the real sharp lenses. The Kodak resolution is better than my scanner's ability with negatives. The Industar, while good, is not in the same class.

I should note that both were taken about f16 with a tripod and a shutter release. Perhaps I have a bad Industar...

Matt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin