Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,227   Posts: 1,532,680   Online: 868

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Moskva 5

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Murray - I have 2 Mockba-5's, one came set up properly (except for a light leak around the catch on the back which was easily fixed) and the red window doesn't give any trouble with color film. 6x9 chromes rule, I don't miss not having a 6x6 mask.
    The 2nd came with lots of problems, all of which were relatively easy fixes, but the rangefinder is out of whack, and THAT my friend is a bear of problem to fix. Do NOT take the front rangefinder apart or mess with it unless it's absolutely necessary. I still haven't gotten mine figured out. A slight adjustment isn't too bad, but once it's taken apart you're in deep, uh, fertilizer.

Matt - it looks to me like that's your problem, not the lens. Make absolutely sure the focus is properly set for infinity. Just my 2 cents.

Nathan

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Got mine about two weeks already, some B&W shots are sharp, but the first two rolls of color slide is not as sharp as I think they should be. All the shots required slow shutter speed, about 1/5 sec, and I pressed the shutter while camera on tripod (the reason are 1 selftimer button is broke off, 2 forgot to bring shutter release cable). I guess that's the reason why the pictures are not so sharp? The color rendition is very good.

All in all, my mockba 5 is ok, need more test. Watch this thing open and close up is really a magic to me, and I almost strike a conversation with a nice lady on the sub.

Alex

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Alex, yes, it will be hard to tell if it is ok unless you use the cable :0)

If it still has problems, you may need to check the focus: with the camera on a tripod, set the rangefinder to infinitiy and point it at an object that you can see clearly, then place a piece of ground glass across the film plane and look at that image with a magnifier and see if it's truely sharp. I have heard that you can substitute a strip of 'magic' tape across the back for the ground glass.

Nathan

The Moskva 5 can be a great camera, but can take work and a bit of luck to get it there. I had to buy two of them and make one good working camera from the parts. After I made a complete camera, I had light leaks and focusing the rangefinder to do (using a ground glass.) I put thin black foam under the edge of the pressure plate to help with leaks. End result is a compact camera with a great lens. This lens takes as sharp a picture as any of the Kodak lenses I've had (Ektar, Anastar, Anastigmat) as well as the Tessar and Optar I've used. I wonder how many Moskva users that weren't happy with the lens quality just needed to have things aligned properly? I have heard some of the lenses weren't internally lined up right at the factory, so not much could be done with those. One of the cameras I bought had a badly misaligned front standard. The other camera was fine with the standard but had a broken shutter. I put the good shutter on the good camera and went from there. One thing for sure, I got a great lens on this camera!

Here's a link to my yahoo photos pic taken with a Moskva 5. I just wish the internet pic would show the sharpness and nice creamy look the print has.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/the_hu...22.jpg&.src=ph

This is one camera I intend to keep. Wish it had a bigger viewfinder, though.

Dave

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattCarey
    I should note that both were taken about f16 with a tripod and a shutter release. Perhaps I have a bad Industar...
    No, that's the Moment-24S shutter giving you trouble. The 1/250 speed in the Moskva-5 has a terribly strong spring, and bangs the camera around a bit (that's why it's so noisy for a leaf shutter) -- if you look closely at that image, what you have is camera movement on a diagonal, not a lens problem (or not only a lens problem -- until the movement is sorted, you don't know where the lens is).

Make the same comparison at 1/100, or use the bed tripod socket or the one on the body instead of the one on the everready case knob (if you didn't already) and you'll probably find it works much better.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin