Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,999   Posts: 1,524,322   Online: 763

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yashica D

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The three element lens on Yashica D is a Yashikor. The better four element lens is the Yashinon. Others say the Yashkor should be stopped down for best performance. The several Yashinons I've used have been fine performers. The Yashica TLRs may not be as reliable as a Rollie, but for the difference in price they are practical. Some of them do last. Decades ago I saw a Yashica A in Japan with severe brassing and the knurling worn down on the edges. It seemed to be in good condition except for the slowest shutter speeds.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Windscale View Post
    I am not sure about the D but my other Yashicas take Rollei B1 accessories. Proper shades may be expensive. But you can buy a B1 B/W colour filter, take out the glass and glue a step up ring on, then you will find a hood easily.
    I just glued a S VI push on adaptor to my Ds taking lens with silicon, I can peel it off if I need to. S VI filters and lens hoods are easy to find and dont cost an arm and leg. The D used the same BI accessories as the 124.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a D with Yashinons and an A with Yashikors. Stopped down to f11, it's really hard to tell the difference between the two. The D is a great little camera.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have owned and used a Yashica D with a 4 element lens as well as a Rolleicord and a Rolleiflex. They all produced about the same quality image. They all needed a lens shade. I had better images if I used a tripod and cable release. If you paid 50.00 for the camera don't go out and pay 50.00 for a lens shade, you can get a Bayonet 1 to something (series or 49 or 52mm adapter) and use a step up ring or epoxy it to a step up ring that will allow you to use filters that you probably have now. Go out and have a great time with the camera. If it is in okay shape and you find some problems with frame spacing or something else, a CLA would be a reasonable option. I would still be using my D if someone hadn't stolen it. I am also near Atlanta.
    Good Luck,
    Doug Webb

Shooter
    35mm
    Hey doug. I'm out shooting some shots today. I think I've double exposed a couple. I've got to remember to
    advance the film. Pretty easy to double expose on these babies. Also trying to get used to the reversed
    image. But it is a hoot to use. The only problem I've noticed so far is that the film advance will not lock when you do wind to the next frame. It also seems to want to wind without pressing the button on the winding knob. I still press the button each time(when i remember and not double it) and the film counter does move. I'll finish up this one roll and send it E-6 Lab in Atlanta and wait for the results. I am also in the process of getting an old Agfa Isolette ready to shoot. I've gotten the lens unstuck and adjusted the focus. I am now trying to repair some of the pin light holes in the bellows.
    Lee

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tlr120 View Post
    I just received a Yahica D I got from Ebay. I have about $50.00 bucks in it
    with shipping. Just cleaned the mirror(gently) and ground glass. It seems to
    function OK. Shutter speeds seems close. I am not too experienced with leaf
    type shutters.
    I was wondering if anyone out there has any experience with these cameras.
    I have always primarily used manual Nikons. I am use to using a light meter.
    So that will not be a great inconvenience for using it with this camera. I have never owned a Medium format and I thought this would be a good economical start. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Lee
    Congrats, Lee. My first modern TLR (after my Argoflex) was a Yash D. A family friend got me a pro discount at a local shop in Philly. The camera, a roll of Plus-X, and a Honeywell Tiltamite Flash Gun cost me $54.40. That was 1961. Years later, I did a college summer job stint shooting for a company doing children's home portraits. They issued us two Yash Ds--one as a back up. At the end of the year they trashed them, whether they needed it or not. They were bounced and battered for about fifty rolls a week and never once did mine falter. I eventually traded the Yash D. for a pre-war Contax III.
    As advised, use a hood; stop down a coupla stops when possible. Have fun.
    And remember, press (button in wind knob); wind; recock.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin