Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,640   Online: 1108

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yashica D

Shooter
    35mm

Yashica D

I just received a Yahica D I got from Ebay. I have about $50.00 bucks in it
    with shipping. Just cleaned the mirror(gently) and ground glass. It seems to
    function OK. Shutter speeds seems close. I am not too experienced with leaf
    type shutters.
    I was wondering if anyone out there has any experience with these cameras.
    I have always primarily used manual Nikons. I am use to using a light meter.
    So that will not be a great inconvenience for using it with this camera. I have never owned a Medium format and I thought this would be a good economical start. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Lee

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    My first TLR is a Yashica D I bought on ebay around a year ago for around $65. I like the square format but I find the mirror inversion on the TLR to be annoying/confusing - I just couldn't get comfortable with it so I started using a Century Graphic. I found the yashica D to be easy to use - make sure the light seals are okay and then just load it up with film and go out there and have fun.

Do you have the manual? Here's a link to a PDF:

http://www.cameramanuals.org/yashica_pdf/yashica_d.pdf

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had one for about three years, and sold it to partly finance my move to a Mamiya C330. It's a great little camera, and the triplet lens will give you results worth printing. It's very light for a TLR, and once you decide on your film advance/shutter cocking sequence, you can work very fast.

The one thing you have to remember is to depress the center portion of the film advance button to unlock it. Otherwise you will wonder why you can't advance the film after the first frame...

Every control has only one function, so you have a wheel for aperture, another for shutter speed, a lever to select between M (flashbulbs) and X (electronic) flash synchronization, a lever for cocking the shutter, a knob for focussing, another knob to advance the film, and the shutter release.

Loading the camera is a straightforward procedure: place the takeup spool, place the film roll, break the seal, thread into the takeup, slowly advance until the arrow matches the red dot, close the back, lock it, and wind the film to the first exposure. Meter, select aperture/shutter, cock the shutter, aim, focus, click. Wash, rinse, repeat.

The only thing you should remember is that you should set the shutter speed BEFORE cocking the shutter. It will keep your shutter healthy for longer.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have both a D and a 124. Ds came with either a 3 element or a 4 element lens, I think the Yasihar is the 3 element and the Yashcion is the 4 element. While the crank of the 124 and earlier Mat is quicker, you can easly do a double expsoure with the D. The 124 also allows for 220 as well as 120 film and has a built in light meter, not TTL but it is coupled to the shutter. All in all I use my D more often than the 124. I glued a S VI filter holder to the taking lens rather than look for the B V filters that fit the lens. With a S VI holder you can use a filter and lens hood at the same time.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'll try to get some film in it this weekend. I agree with Dan. It seems
    awkward to see evrything reversed. It's like getting used to a telescope.
    I'm looking forward to having some fun. It looks like I may end up trying
    to learn how to develope as well. Nearest place available from me is
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hallo

i also got a yashica d.
    paul is right with the lenses.
    and yes you have to choose the shutterspeed first.
    my suggestion is to get a sunshade.
    i älso got closuplenses, they work very well.

good luck with this camera

greets

thomas
    --------------------------------------------------
    vfdkv (259)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I absolutely love my Yashicas. I have shot mainly with my LM (meter works but not to be trusted, I hand hold) but I am fixing up a 124 (not the "G"), I purchased a parts (broken screw in crank box) from Mark Hama (http://www.markhama.com/) that should be here today or tomorrow and it will be set to go. I also have 2 Yashica A models that I am cleaning up at the moment. I had a little oil on the shutter blades and aperture blades that I cleaned up with a Q-tip w/ denatured alcohol and all work smooth now. I find the reserve image to be helpful because it makes you slow down a little and compose the picture you really want. My biggest compliant is camera shake. The 124 takes a standard cable release, but the LM needs an extra attachment that slips over the shutter release button and I have not purchased it yet. I'm not sure what the "D" is like, but I would suggest getting something. The button on the LM is smooth, but takes some pressure to push and I end up moving the camera if I am not on my game.

Have fun. I sent you a PM, if you are closer to Jacksonville, Fl than Atlanta, GA check us out, we sell film and process in house Dip and Dunk. www.fototechnika.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The D can be fun. But a hood is mandatory. Have fun.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'll have to ty to find a shade. I'm not but 40 miles from Atlanta.
    Lee

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am not sure about the D but my other Yashicas take Rollei B1 accessories. Proper shades may be expensive. But you can buy a B1 B/W colour filter, take out the glass and glue a step up ring on, then you will find a hood easily.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin