Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,655   Online: 851

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Mamiya 6/7 50mm lens question ...

Am I correct in thinking that there are two 50mm lenses for the Mamiya RF range? One is an f4 made for the Mamiya 6 and the other an f4.5 made for the Mamiya 7/7ii?

If so, I have two followup questions:

1. Does the Mamiya 6/f4 50mm work on a Mamiya 7 body?
    2. Apart from the small difference in widest aperture, is there any significant different between the two lenses?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Mamiya 6 and 7 lenses have different lens mounts and can not be interchanged.

I don't know the answer to your second question but both have are considered excellent lenses.

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by hughitb View Post
    Am I correct in thinking that there are two 50mm lenses for the Mamiya RF range? One is an f4 made for the Mamiya 6 and the other an f4.5 made for the Mamiya 7/7ii?

If so, I have two followup questions:

1. Does the Mamiya 6/f4 50mm work on a Mamiya 7 body?
    2. Apart from the small difference in widest aperture, is there any significant different between the two lenses?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Mamiya 6 and 7 lenses have different lens mounts and can not be interchanged.
    Really? Holy shit .. I was looking at the 50mm ones on Keh and thinking that the prices weren't TOO bad. There were the 6 versions though. I don't see 7 ones coming up used anywhere. So it looks like I am going to be shelling out more money than I thought. Thanks for the info though ..... I'm going to have to figure out what else I can sell :-)

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You're right, there are no Mamiya 7 50/4.5 lenses on KEH right now, but ebay has a few. I'm also looking for one.

Another difference beside apertures: The Mamiya 7 50 needs a separate viewfinder attached to the hot shoe for framing, although I've heard that you can just use the entire viewfinder and it is about 85% of the framing. The Mamiya 6 doesn't need a separate viewfinder, a feature that I love.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have the 50mm for Mamiya 7 and use it with the accessory viewfinder most of the time. When you place the lens on the camera the view through the camera finder defaults to the view with the 65mm lens in the bright line finder.

However, if you look at the view in the entire frame from side to side it corresponds very closely to what you see in the accessory viewfinder, so strictly speaking the accessory finder is not absolutely necessary.

Sandy KING

Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    Another difference beside apertures: The Mamiya 7 50 needs a separate viewfinder attached to the hot shoe for framing, although I've heard that you can just use the entire viewfinder and it is about 85% of the framing. The Mamiya 6 doesn't need a separate viewfinder, a feature that I love.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Where have you seen the 50mm for the 6 come up? I've been looking for it for ages. Then again I'm not sure I'm willing to spend more on a single lens than on the camera and 2 lenses... ;-)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    They had a few of them for sale used on Keh.com a week or two ago ...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin