Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,705   Online: 1246

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My two Mamiya 645's travelled every where with me for a number of years until I decided to only use a 5x4 kit and a 35mm with one lens. The 645's were easy to carry and great performers. I'm sure a Hasselblad wouldn't be much different.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Chris,

but you did not tell us what king of photography you have in mind? Landscape, macro, portrait, lowlight, handhold or with tripod? What are you limitations (budged, weight, etc) I would have a tendency to go for a camera like Bronica RF645, or Mamiya 6/7 or even the new Fuji/Voigtlaender 667 folder that is supposed to come out soon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hmm...am flying in let me see 7 hours and 34 minutes to Hong Kong and taking my new/used Hasselblad 501c. I love the square format and the amazing sharpness of the lens so I would choose a blad (a mamiya 6 thou would be my choice if I was doing lots of walking carrying gear).

www.gerryyaum.com
    www.gerryyaum.blogspot.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I took my Hassey and 5 lens to Bermuda from Florida and 30 rools of film all in in back apck without andy problems. Take the largest format you can. Of course I just took my 8x10 and 3 lens on a plane to California and had no problem.

mike a
    "Capturing an image is only one step of the long chain of events to create a beautiful Photograph” See my updated website: mandersenphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    As always, let the light and the lenses guide your gear decisions.

Unless you want to be constrained to shoot at high ISO and/or on a tripod and/or in [generally uninteresting] bright light and/or lug flash units and diffusers, then smallish MF (645/6x6) and 35mm might be the best options for travel.

I have been in many situations where a fast, little 35mm RF kicks the butt of medium or large format gear. Yes the converse can be true too... but seldom when it comes to travel. In my experience.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've just got back from 2 weeks in Cuba and I took my Blad. I havent really used it that much since I started LF but even though the Hasselblad is a great camera I was crying out for a 35mm because the Blad just wasnt quick enough (or I wasnt) for alot of street photography.
    My advice is to do some research into the area which your going to and decide which camera would suite your goals.

I'm now thinking of selling the Blad and getting a Leica M3

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My RB67 is my walking around town camera, and since I like bigger negatives, I would definitely use the Hasselblad over 645 format. The main reason I shoot 35mm is for the Kodachrome. While I really do enjoy SLRs, perhaps I shall get a stealthy rangefinder one day.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    As a quickshooting compact travel cam let me suggest a contax g2 (or g2-converted g1). For under $500 you can have a full kit with literally some of the best lenses ever. Excellent companion to MF or LF gear when you're on the road. Some will suggest a manual RF like a bessa r3a or such, and I see a lot of benefits in that too. Definitely.

I'd be a bit leery about extended travel with older Leicas, honestly. I mean, if you are going to take a Leica then take a new or very recently CLA'd one. The oldies really aren't travel/beater cameras, in my opinion. (No I am not dissing them, so don't flame me... I am just saying...)

Alexander, you might consider the konica hexar af for compact stealth. I really miss mine. Very silent winding, and superb lens. The only drawback was the top shutter speed, but for indoors who cares.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Use whichever you prefer. As far as ease of travel, there is really no significant difference between various 645-6x6 SLR systems, in my opinion. Some people, myself included, travel with 4x5" or 8x10" or larger cameras, making differences between MF SLR systems seem trivial as far as portability go.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Keith, I shall look into that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin