Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,056   Posts: 1,561,400   Online: 1162

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

On the road: MF question

Sooooo.... I have not really traveled with a MF set up but I hope to soon.

If you could take a Hasselblad of a mamiya 645 as your one travel companion... which would it be?

I have not been able to work out the merits of the different cameras as travelling gear.

Thanks
    Chris

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I own both a Hasselblad 503CX and a Mamiya 645 Super. They're about the same size and weight, though Mamiya's lenses are smaller and lighter because they don't have shutters in them as Hasselblad lenses do. I travelled a lot with my 645 over the years and it was a joy to use. I can carry the body, 2 backs, 45, 55, 80, and 150mm lenses, handheld meter and a supply of film in my Domke F1x bag easily. I recently got the Hasselblad with 50, 80 and 150mm lenses and I carry it in the same bag I use for the 645 setup. Overall a bit heavier. I guess If I was doing a lot of walking (I'm a thin, not very strong man) I'd go for 645 but if you're stronger than me it probably wouldn't matter (and I'd still use the Hassy if I knew I'd want square format, as I often prefer). So, overall I don't think there's a big enough difference to matter. Get the one who's format you prefer unless money is an issue, then Mamiya 645 gear is MUCH less costly.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is an interesting question. Over the years, I've owned a number of cameras in various formats. I had a Mamiya 645 with a few lenses and, as much as I liked the end result, I found having to vary the orientation (whether hand-held or on tripod) to be a real pain. I now have a Bronica SQ-B with 40mm, 80mm and 150mm PS lenses and WLF (as well as the prism finder - which I seldom use). I love the fact that 6x6 doesn't require me to have to adjust and re-adjust to get into portrait or landscape orientation. Once it's on the tripod, that's it - apart from composing....!

The good news with the Bronica is that they really are excellent value and the lenses are superb. I've always hankered after a Hassy but I can't justfy the additional cost for the 'perceived' improvement in quality. I say 'perceived' as I can't tell what camera / lens took which photo after a certain point. Therefore, I'll save my money and enjoy the Bronnie.

Paul.
    Paul Jenkin (a late developer...)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've never owned a Mamiya kit but I own a Hasselblad with three lenses and a prism. It all fits into a Lowepro MiniTrekker with no problem.

I deal with the weight as just part of the package to make great photos.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Seabee View Post
    Sooooo.... I have not really traveled with a MF set up but I hope to soon.

If you could take a Hasselblad of a mamiya 645 as your one travel companion... which would it be?

I have not been able to work out the merits of the different cameras as travelling gear.

Thanks
    Chris
    I would take the Hasselblad because I own one. On the other hand I would not take a Mamiya 645 because I do not own one.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The mamiyas travel well ... I have 5 of various ages and nary an issue with any of them. N.b. I do not keep any of them in velvet boxes, either!

You may look at a travel kit as a 2 body + lenses kind of proposition. I don't think it'd be wise to set off on some expedition without a backup body.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have travelled with a Hasselblad set up on a number of occasions - India last year, Florida the year before, and on countless other shorter trips. I never regretted taking it, even India where I carried it with me at all times in a rucksac.

Matt

Shooter
    Large Format
    I tried a Mamiya 645 years ago but I did not really like the 6x4,5 format and what I really did not like was the way the camera was held in vertical shots plus you need a prism ofcourse while I prefer a WL-finder by far. After that I bought a Hasselblad and became familiar with the square format. The Hasselblad has been on several trips with me, Cambodia, several timed to India, trekking to Everest base camp and the Gokyo lakes in Nepal, etc. So my advice would be the Hasselblad, but that's just my opinion.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'd take the one one you enjoy using the most. A year to be restricted to a camera you don't like using would drive you crackers.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I would take the Hasselblad because I own one. On the other hand I would not take a Mamiya 645 because I do not own one.

Steve

Steve said it all!

André

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin