Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,920   Online: 799

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    ...The rb takes the 6x8 back and a number of other extremely low cost lenses and peripherals. If there is an rz lens you covet (e.g. the 50 uld; the 110/2.8) then just get 'em and de-pin em and slap 'em on the rb. You can also use the rz t&s adapter on the rb this way (I do)...
    Just as a matter of interest; I have recently been thinking of getting an MF camera also; for me that would be a faster addition to my beloved LF gear, and an affordable way to shoot colour.

Are there other lenses to be had for an RB besides the Mamiya ones? I ask because what always retains my hand when going for an MF is the missing perspective correction. So, what about (affordable) pc lenses? I would like to have at least one such lens if I would go for this camera.

(my website is currently not online because I am moving the contract, sorry)

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Lukas, indeed as timing pointed out, the rz t&s adapter can go on the rb, no problem. However, there are only two short-barrel lenses that will give you infinity focus with that rig: a 75mm and a 180. The 180 is inexpensive, the 75... pricey! Now, if you don;t need infinity focus, then all the usual rb lenses can be hooked up to the adapter. That's what I bought it for, for focus control for macro and close-focus.

There are also some PC lenses for the rb and rz, that's another option.

There is of course also the fuji gx680 system, which has built-in t&s. I am researching whether the fuji 680 wide angle can be adapted to the mamiya t&s adapter and still give infinity focus. Stay tuned!

Now, if perspective correction is a recurring issue in your work, then you're best off sticking to a 4x5 monorail view camera, which will kick the snot out of any of these MF semi-solutions. But that's also massive overkill unless you do a lot of pretzel-bellows kinds of things. I mean, consider that you can do quite a lot of perspective correction at an enlarger or computer, and MF already gives you detail easily exceeding any needs for prints to 20" and beyond. The rb/rz systems can certainly challenge 4x5 at 20" when using slide film or ATP or such.
    Last edited by keithwms; 12-01-2008 at 10:30 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Keith and Timing, thank you for the answers.

I am thinking about a MF camera above all because it is faster than LF. I have been using LF (8x10 often, really) and pinhole on sheet and roll film nearly exclusively in the recent years, but sometimes I just end up just missing this ray of light which has moved from that particular spot when I have finished setting up the camera, and I am thinking of some portraiture and colour film. LF/pinhole will certainly remain, I must admit, my first preference, but a solid, big MF might just prove a useful addition.
    I am personallly not overfond of using an enlarger or computer for perspective correction, as this always means some patching-up after composure, and does not allow to use the full frame of the image.
    And I want to focus on infinity. However, I think with an MF setup, two lenses would be enough for me, one not-too-modest wide-angle with pc, the other slightly long (100-150), pc not essential.
    So, one more question: are there such wide-angle pc lenses for the RB in the 50-60mm range, and how costly are they?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Lukas, I think the only standard Mamiya PC offerings are the 75 and the 180. If you want wider then I guess you could use a zoerk adapter or such. I doubt the mamiya 50 uld or 65 will have enough circle to do any meaningful tilts, but minor shifts would be doable; the problem is, you can't do those on the rz t&s adapter because it puts the lens out too far, so you lose infinity focus unless you have a short-barrel lens. Like I said, I am going to try to x-mount a fuji gx680 50 on the rz t&s gizmo but haven't tried it yet, so stay tuned. Anyway, about price, that is highly variable. Brand new mamiya stuff is now quite pricey, but there are a number of things that are ridiculously inexpensive.

But I would step back and look at it this way. You expressed concerns about missing moments because you don't have fast enough gear. Those fleeting moments are not the moments when you would spend a lot of time doing meticulous PC correction with ground glass anyway. The med format option will give you those moments and handle a lot more like 35mm than LF, while giving 4x5-like levels of detail and tonality. What more can you ask? Let me ask you to take a serious second look at computer-based PC correction. It's come a very, very long way. There is a reason (or two or three) why people don't want to spend megabucks developing ultrawide lenses with PC that also cover 6x7. I guess that's all I can say here.

The rapid-fire speed of med format can really open up some new directions. It certainly did so for me. As recent examples I would cite this(shot with an rb and a 127, I think) and this (rb and 37mm fisheye). These are quick ~1 minute setups- not things I could contemplate with LF.
    Last edited by keithwms; 12-01-2008 at 04:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you for the information, Keith, and or posting the pictures. I particularly liked the one of the butterfly on the board. Your website was also worth a visit.
    I have just noted how cheap used RBs appear to be, and i think I might indeed watch out for one.

Shooter
    35mm
    today the price of used Mamiya RB67 pro SD are cheap, is it ok if i buy it for learning the MF camera

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes that is precisely what I recommend to a lot of folks new to MF. I had soem students use it and they loved it. The pro SD is very modular, super robust, and if/when you do decide to graduate to an rz pro 2, you can use the rb lenses on that.

I'd recommend the following inexpensive add-ons for the pro sd: 6x8 powered back, AE metering prism, a polaroid packfilm back (3.25", you can shoot the excellent fuji stuff and learn a lot that way) and a 45mm extension tube for your macro pleasure. If you want to learn sheet stuff, let me recommend a type J "double cut film holder" which will allow you to shoot 3.25" sheet film on the rb (I use efke 50M for that, you can get it at freestyle).

The 127 KL is a super starting lens, good for all-purpose stuff; I prefer it to the 90. If however you want something really fast, you can get the inexpensive rz 110/2.8 and in about 3 sec with a pair of pliers and two grunts you can remove two pins from the mount and then it'll go on the rb pro sd. That should make an excellent portrait lens. Not as sharp as the 127 but very, very bright.

Forego the rb 50, that is the only disappointing lens in the rb lineup. Instead you can get the rz 50 uld and depin that if you wish.
    Last edited by keithwms; 12-03-2008 at 07:49 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank`s for all your info Keith...

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    I moved up to MF with a 6x9 view camera (cheap; $170 new!) and made much money doing industrial photography and portraiture. Sometime later I decided to find something I can hand-hold, something more versatile, so after researching other cameras on the market I opted for the RB proSD because it has all the right features (for me). I bought a new one 15 years ago and still think it's the best all around MF camera. Now that the lenses are more affordable I have many. Note: the longer focal lengths, 250mm and up, are getting harder to find.

I recently bought a Mamiya 645 because I'm getting old and needed a lighter camera for hiking up mountain trails. I love both cameras and wouldn't trade them for any others. I still use the view camera - for extreme wide angles and movements - which takes the RB backs (a modified Galvin 2x3 - extremely light weight).
    Last edited by panastasia; 12-03-2008 at 09:49 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin