Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,920   Posts: 1,522,059   Online: 894

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

new to Medium Format

I am new to medium format, i need info about the camera.
    which is the good camera.

1. Mamiya RZ67 pro II.
    2. contax 645
    3. Mamiya 645 AFD II kit
    4. Mamiya 645 AFD III kit

thanks
    randy_94

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Each of them is a great camera, with different features.

Depending on your specific needs, you can pick the features that best suit your shooting style.

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8300: BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

You also have to decide which format you want; 67 is significantly larger than 645. Personally I love 67, even though the camera will be larger too.
    Kodachrome
    They give us those nice bright colors
    They give us the greens of summers
    Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah.
    -Paul Simon

Shooter
    35mm
    thanks for all reply,
    I like small camera for easy to handhold in outdoor .
    which one is better contax 645 or mamiya 645 AFD II !

thaNKS,
    randy

Shooter
    Large Format
    I think the Contax 645 is the perfect camera. I use it with the wide to normal zoom and a portrait telephoto and the Hartblei tilt shift. BUT I fear the fact it is discontinued. Today I would go Mamiya
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I love my Contax. Use it handheld 90% of the time. There are plenty of bodies on the used market in great shape, and Kyocera will support it with parts until 2016 or so, so I wouldn't let its being discontinued deter you.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    thanks for all the info, i think i would go with Contax 645 for their great lens.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    You want to go to Medium Format, but you are looking at the smallest size medium format available. You have 6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7, 6x9, 6x12, 6x17. I think 6x7 or 6x9 would be the best direction to go. same film but you get a larger image and better quality when you enlarge. 645 to me is like using a half frame camera on a 35mm. just stay 35 if you are going that small.

Michael Andersen
    PS: I have a hassey and a Pentax67 II. I find the PEntax 67II to be a easier format to work with and it is a SLR with metering.
    "Capturing an image is only one step of the long chain of events to create a beautiful Photograph” See my updated website: mandersenphotography.com

Shooter
    35mm
    i need the Auto Focus camera as they more easy to use, and maybe someday i can use with DB.
    thanks for your info.

regards,
    randy_94

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Forget AF. Decent AF has only just now come to med format in the form of the new mamiya 645 afd3 ($3k!). Pretty much all prior med format cameras have rather primitive AF (center focus only and quite slow and noisy). So skip AF and come back to it when the prices have come down. If you absolutely must have af in an mf camera, then get a fuji rangefinder. Those are the only med format AF systems that didn't disappoint me. Med format lesnes are not nearly as fast as 35mm, so it's hard to design contrast detection af with the kind of flexibility you find in 35mm. So skip it!

Now, assuming that you buy my argument about giving up auto focus:

(1) the rz can take the rb lenses, which are very inexpensive and excellent (I have several).

(2) the afd can take the m645 manual focus lenses, also inexpensive and excellent (I have several).

Those two advantages put the mamiyas well ahead of the contax IMHO. The contax is a very nice body but good luck finding lenses and peripherals. The mamiya rz and afd lines are steadily growing and there is a huge market of inexpensive used lenses that are superb. They are also *much* more likely to be useful to you when you get a DB due to the lens-body-back electronic coupling.
    Last edited by keithwms; 11-24-2008 at 08:13 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: sp
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin