Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,577   Posts: 1,545,714   Online: 809

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If I put a 6x7cm back on my 8x10" Sinar P, which I really do sometimes, then I say I'm shooting medium format with a large format camera. If I put a 6x17cm expansion back on my 4x5" Technika, then I say I'm shooting medium format with a large format camera, even though the medium format is wider than the large format.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Baby Panorama

The key to this camera is finding the right stuff...what gave me the idea was finding the Meopta Proximus film holder/copier (part number 78414) at a Melbourne camera market. This supplied the body for the project. I already had a 40mm Bronica ETRS lens that was earmarked for a pano conversion to a Nimslo 3D camera. The plan was to open up the four frames into one, but that's another story :rolleyes:

Next thing to do was to open out the single 35mm frame window on the Meopta body and make a lens cone. This is a fully seam welded 3mm thick box that's finally powder coated to suit the original body colour. There's no provision for focusing as I set the lens to it's hyperfocal distance. This is a great idea as focusing a camera like this is usually the biggest problem, but at f16 all is focused from around six feet on and at f22/f32 it just gets sharper.... I guess what really surprised me was how well the lens from a 645 camera covers a 72mm wide frame and renders so sharp an image at the corners. Very little distortion occurs at the outer edges too, as I usually find I get a stretching effect with 90mm lenses on the 6x17 format.

A couple more things ...I needed to reposition the pressure plate, (it was originally set off centre for some reason) and fabricate a plate with rails for the film to run on. Advance is simply by counting two turns of the knob each time, getting around nine frames on a 24 shot roll and 14 on a 36. Rewind is achieved by pulling up the advance knob slightly, thereby releasing the take up bobbin.
    I have a 1.6mm (1/16th) thick spacer plate that slips in behind the film plate thereby allowing focus to 2-4 feet or so The pressure plate holds it all in place nicely.

Setting up the lens was easy....simply by removing the cells from the Bronica helical and screwing them into any Copal 0 sized shutter takes care of their relationship and correct distance between the elements is maintained. For the finder I used a little Cokin magnetic wide angle video camera accessory lens and masked the frame to mimic the 24x72mm area using a ground glass.
    Add a couple of strap lugs and a tripod socket (so far all shots have been hand held) and we're ready to go.
    Now you can build one yourself......If you need any more info, just let me know. I'll post some images taken with this little gem shortly
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Obsession 135 1.jpg   Obsession 135 2.jpg  
    Last edited by razzledog; 11-18-2008 at 03:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bravo!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by razzledog View Post
    I recently finished a 'pet project' and built a cute 35mm panorama camera that shoots two full frames with a 40mm lens. This little camera has a wider view than I first thought it would and as it uses a medium format lens, does it qualify as an MF camera? Frame size is 24x72, wider than an X Pan.
    Please send one to me so that that I can extensively test it so that I can make a proper determination.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Please send one to me so that that I can extensively test it so that I can make a proper determination.

Steve
    That's so totally unscientific. I'm appalled. We need at least, say, one hundred testers to say with some certainty that this apparatus actually performs... I volunteer - albeit reluctantly.

Antje

Shooter
    35mm
    How much did it end up costing you?

Falkland Islands: not any more now I'm in Lincolnshire UK
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Razzledog,
    with a short focal length lens the depth of focus is very short. How did you set it to achieve the required focal point? I am currently modifying a Nikon F to take a 15mm leica screw lens and the lens to focal plane distance is very critical (plus or minus .1mm) I find that quite tricky.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Norman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning;

Nice work. Good to see creative thinking taking place with equipment in addition to the images of the subjects set before a camera.

On the subject of nomenclature, I tend to be a bit conservative. You are still using 35 mm film cartridges for the film. While the film format may be a little longer, it is still 35 mm wide. In the original 35 mm format, it was intended for motion pictures, where the frame or image size was 18 mm by 24 mm with the remaining 11 mm of film width being used for the sprocket holes. Later they fitted in the sound track also. The image size we commonly think of in this forum is double that; 24 mm by 36 mm as intended for the original Leica. You are extending this concept from 24 mm by 36 mm out to 24 mm by 72 mm. You are using the film in a panorama camera application. It is an unusual application of the film, but I think that it is still 35 mm film.

I would continue to use the designation 35 mm, perhaps adding panorama, but that is just my opinion.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by razzledog View Post

Setting up the lens was easy....simply by removing the cells from the Bronica helical and screwing them into any Copal 0 sized shutter takes care of their relationship and correct distance between the elements is maintained.
    Ok this presumably reflects some previous fiddling: I cant believe this just panned out! (Which Bronica lens for those of us of a destruct/reconstruct bent?)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

The Fiddler?

Quote Originally Posted by bnstein View Post
    Ok this presumably reflects some previous fiddling: I cant believe this just panned out! (Which Bronica lens for those of us of a destruct/reconstruct bent?)
    Probably a little more than fiddling......after manufacturing cameras in Australia for nigh on ten years, I guess I'd have to own up to doing this kinda stuff before....
    I had a pretty good idea as to what the outcome might be, but the Bronica 40mm ETR lens did surprise me as I wasn't expecting such excellent coverage. If you Google 'Razzledog' you will find that I usually build Obsession 617's and Razzle 4x5's but the prospect of a smaller 35mm pano version rather turned me on. I also had hundreds of rolls of 35m film that was doing nothing..... 'necessity is the mother of invention' after all.
    The scans I have included are just from the two test rolls so far and prove that I should spend less time making cameras and get out more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 35mm Shop Pano.jpg   35mm Birthday Party.jpg   35mm Main St.jpg  
    Last edited by razzledog; 11-19-2008 at 02:35 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin