Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,944   Posts: 1,585,782   Online: 1032

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    35mm

When Does 35mm Become Medium Format?

Now I will have to search for the 35mm backs for my GS-1s. For now I only have 100/3.5 lenses for them. If I can find the W back I will want a 50/4.5.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Looks very cool. But I can always shoot 24x65 if I buy a 35mm adapter for my Mamiya 7.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Think this way...'35mm' happens to be sprocketed film that happens to have a frame which is 24mm x 36mm. 120 Roll film is non-sprocketed film about 60mm wide, which happens to have a frame size larger than 24mm x 36mm and this fits the 'medium format'.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dynachrome View Post
    Now I will have to search for the 35mm backs for my GS-1s. For now I only have 100/3.5 lenses for them. If I can find the W back I will want a 50/4.5.
    And you will perhaps have to look for the corresponding focusing screen that shows the framing lines of the 35mm backs as well (expenses just don't end huh).

(I've never actually seen it mentioned in any GS-1 brochure or manual that such a screen exists, unlike the ETR-series and SQ-series Bronicas where they specifically mention focusing screens that correspond to their respective 35mm backs, but logic tells me that there ought to be one)
    Last edited by lomomagix; 11-22-2008 at 06:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Antje View Post
    I love my Epson 4990, it'll scan basically any format up to 8x10 I think. That's anything from my Horizon to my 4x5 Crown Graphic. Vuescan is a must with this scanner, I believe, the Epson software doesn't do it justice. The V700 and V750 are said to be very good, too.

Antje
    I've got one also - I'll scan anything opaque or transparent up to 8X10 in and up to 6000 dpi (tried that once and ran out of memory - 4 gig ram).

"Beer is proof that God wants us to be happy."

Benjamin Franklin

Shooter
    35mm
    But how much resolution does it actually have? Many scanners list insanely high ppi/dpi that is achieved through interpolation. All that leads to are larger files, and a potential decrease in quality.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AutumnJazz View Post
    But how much resolution does it actually have? Many scanners list insanely high ppi/dpi that is achieved through interpolation. All that leads to are larger files, and a potential decrease in quality.
    I usually scan at 2400, which gives me 300 GB of data for a 6x12 slide. Then I resize them to about 6000x2800 pixels, which takes care of some noise and increases apparent detail. Looks very very good then, right up there with my BenQ Scanwit for 35mm, just faaaaaar larger. That's good enough for stock photo agencies then and for big prints for my walls, and that's good enough for me.

This thread will probably get us banned... :o

Antje

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    No, it's pano. You can get pano in medium format too, but even using the sprocket holes, it's still 35mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

35mm twoframe Obsession.

It may only be 35mm, but it sure packs a medium format punch..there's a couple more examples here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/razzledog/

Can't wait for better Melbourne weather

I tricked up the old Arcus with a software upgrade to Fotolook 3.6, although it still tends to mess around. At least the images appear a little sharper, but it scans everything as a transparency..simply refuses to scan monochrome, what a beastly apparatus.
    Last edited by razzledog; 12-04-2008 at 06:34 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: beastly apparatus

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The film size used, determines the category. 120/220/620 =MF. 135 still =135.
    If the lens doesn't read "ZEISS", then it just isn't.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin