Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,233   Posts: 1,532,916   Online: 1017

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tinyfailures View Post
    I would never trust a camera meter unless I had to. A great light meter is the best investment you can make in photo.
    All of my in-camera meters exactly match the spot meter readings of my Sekonic L-358 handheld meter.

I trust my camera in-camera meters just as I would my handheld meter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I dont "trust" any meter Brandon because they see the world as 18% gray, consequently any reading should be subject to some consideration and interpretation, IMHO the secret of getting the best out of any meter is learning to recognise the situations that will fool it. I have a Sekonic L-358 and the 1degree spot agrees with the spot meter in my Canon T90 but knowing the correct tone to point them at is a different matter.
    Ben

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I took it a step further, got the 203 FE with internal focal plane shutter and built in 20% coverage light meter w/Aperture priority (there is a 1% spot version, 205 TTC). It has TTL/OTF metering, fast 2.8 (even 2.0) glass. I can adjust the ISO to compensate for film and lighting conditions (fill etc). The OTF sensor shuts down the flash ensuring proper exposure or fill. Overall I've been really happy. The disadvantages are increased price and flash sync at 1/90 and below/slower. The shutter goes to 1/2000 which is nice in bright sun and use of larger aperture for better control of DOF etc. I find it shoots more like a "35mm SLR", which is good and bad, I have a lot of bad candids that would be more structured if I was using a light meter etc. Dialing it all in with some test rolls should be your 1st assignment, stated well by "benjiboy" above.
    Robland - Seattle area

Insert "catch phrase" here...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin