Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,824   Posts: 1,581,962   Online: 905

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Hasselblad metered prism VS. ligthmeter?

hi ,

I was wondering wich is the best solution between having a lightmeter in the cam, and a normal one. Pricewise maybe more affordable...I dont even own a hassy yet.but soon...
    peace

check out my blog!
    peace
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/th3ch3f

ch3f.tumblr.com

2 Hasselblad 500 CM Nikon FE2 Lubitel 166+

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I would imagine,

that the metered prism would be more convenient. You, obviously, would have to take care with what you metered more than say an incident meter.
    Hassy had a winder knob meter that is convenient, also. It has reflected and an incident capability. Handy because it eliminates carrying a separate meter. Maybe not no good for really low light situations, though.

Jo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would prefer to have either a waist level finder or a plain prism, and a separate hand held digital light meter with incidental, spot and flash metering facilitys that you can use with all your cameras.
    Ben

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Get a handheld light meter.

Never need a meter in my Hasselblad prism.

"A meter in the hand is worth two in the camera."
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

My Hassy kit came with a metered prism finder that I don't use. If you have a 503cx or similar model, I believe the meter works in conjunction with a Hasselblad (or other?) flash for automatic exposure control. The guy that sold it to me used it for flash wedding photography. I just use it as-is.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you plan to do a lot of macro work, metered prisms can be very handy.
    Otherwise, I find a hand-held meter to be more flexible.
    I do, however, use both.

Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    I find 1 degree spot meter far more useful than incident or in camera meters. It certainly isn't as convenient, but I feel the trade off is worth it for the type of photography I do. For some kinds of photography the prism meter will doubtlessly be more useful. For the things I do, landscapes, portraits, still life, etc. the accuracy and flexibility of the HH spot trumps convenience, at least in my little world.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pgomena View Post
    My Hassy kit came with a metered prism finder that I don't use. If you have a 503cx or similar model, I believe the meter works in conjunction with a Hasselblad (or other?) flash for automatic exposure control. The guy that sold it to me used it for flash wedding photography. I just use it as-is.
    The metering electronics inside the prism are not linked to anything else.
    TTL-flash metering is achieved by hooking a sensor inside some Hasselblad camera bodies, through the appropriate adapter, up to the electronics inside suitable flash units.

The Hasselblad meter prisms are very easy to use, and dead accurate. If you want to use a prism anyway, no reason (except perhaps financial ones) not to make it a metered prism.

Hand held meters are very fine tools. But there is no reason why you couldn't get the same excellent results using a built-in meter. The biggest contributing factor to getting good results is you knowing what you are doing, not the meter, or what type it is, itself.

So in the end, it is a matter of personal preferences. Some people like spot meters, other people incident metering. To each his own. They all work

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I faced the same dilemma earlier this summer. At first, I was strongly pulling towards a metered prism because of the obvious convenience of having a meter on camera. But I ultimately decided on just a handheld meter that gives incident meter readings and reflective meter readings. Since I do quite a bit of flash photography, I would need a handheld meter even if I bought a metered prism (that only does reflective readings). Plus, now I've learned that I favor incident meter readings over reflective meter readings because it seems to be a lot easier to fool a reflective meter. And ultimately, I saved more money by buying one meter that does both types of meter readings rather than buying two different types of meters. I did buy a PM45 prism to improve on the Waist Level Finder and so that I could mount a flash to the hot shoes on the prism.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A PME45 would have given you both a spot and center weighed reflective metering, and incident light metering, all in a single, convenient unit that doubles as a prism finder and shoe mount flash mount.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin