Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,287   Posts: 1,535,296   Online: 913

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    Watch out for the Flexaret. My understanding is that the East German shutter is cranky and very hard to fix.
    Possibly.

I had a Flexaret with a dodgy shutter. I somehow managed to graft the shutter mechanism from an Agfa Isolette onto it. It's now on permanent loan to a friend and still works fine.

How about looking at Rolleicords?

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Images
    Have a look at ebay seller Cupog. He always has some CLA'ed Flexarets, usually a few folders, and an occasional Rolleicord. I bought a Super Ikonta (532/16) from him for just a bit more than $200 including shipping from Solvakia to the U.S.

The Flexarets that Cupog has right now have three different types of shutters. You might want to ask him which one is most reliable.
    -------------------------------
    Peter Schauss

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    Geez Louise!! A GOOD medium format camera for under 200 dollars! I guess it depends on how you want to define good.
    You mean people pay MORE than 200 bucks for a MF camera?
    You should be able to pick up a good C220 with choice of lens, cla'd for that kind of bread. As mentioned, rb67s are reediculouse in price. A ProS with 127 or 90mm lens, should be doable for 200 clams. You have to recalibrate the rangefinder on a Crown or Speed for rb67 backs but that's not hard. Find a nice body with a Graflok back and get a great LF lens and you would be set.

So lots of options. There is no reason these days to shoot with junk.

'cept if you like it.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    Watch out for the Flexaret. My understanding is that the East German shutter is cranky and very hard to fix. But boy, is it multi-format.
    I used A Flexaret IV and VI for quite some time and I must say that if you have a piece that has been given an overhaul it works like a charm. But they are hard to work on yourself, the Flexaret IV is just manageable to work on but the later ones (V, VI VII, Standard) are not made for self-service. I prefer the Metax shutter above all others.
    Sure, I could give you a boring explanation who I really am but I rather let the Origami do the talking.

Shooter
    35mm
    Another vote for Cupog's Flexarets. My only complaint with my VI from him is that the image on the glass is a bit dim for my liking, and I end up using the integrate loupe more than I'd like. I haven't investigated if it can be changed out at all for a brighter screen.

I picked up a Mamiya C330 with 80mm and 180mm lenses locally for CDN$250 a few months back - it has a brighter image, which makes focussing easier than my Flexaret. Changing lenses takes some practice, I've found, but overall it's a nice system with great lenses.
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mabman View Post
    Another vote for Cupog's Flexarets. My only complaint with my VI from him is that the image on the glass is a bit dim for my liking, and I end up using the integrate loupe more than I'd like. I haven't investigated if it can be changed out at all for a brighter screen.
    I think it can be done if you can find a screen with the right dimensions but beware, while taking off the hood is not very difficult (you need to take off the front leatherette and loose 4 recessed screws) it's quite difficult to put it on again. Some people say it's better to not fully unscrew them but rather to a point that they are not connected to the mirror-assembly anymore. I've taken a VII apart once only to see it's a complex thing (luckily it was a spare parts camera).
    Sure, I could give you a boring explanation who I really am but I rather let the Origami do the talking.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Probably anything, except the Lubitel, would be better than your Seagull. For $200 you should be able to find a Rolleicord. In my experience the Triotar is better than the Xenar, although this is entirely a matter of personal preference. Once you have started using a Rolleicord, you will very quickly forget about your Seagull. But you will also want quickly to move up to a Rolleiflex!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin