Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,682   Posts: 1,482,217   Online: 1043

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Storing Hasselblad Film Backs... without dark slide.. Fact, Fiction, or Urban Legend?

Hello,

I am almost positive I read somewhere that it is actually recommended that one should not store film back magazines with the dark slide inserted, (obviously unloaded, empty ones) to avoid prolonged compression of the foam pad. This is to lessen the chance that the seal will compress and stop performing its function (keeping a good light tight seal).

I know I saw this somewhere... I can not find this in Wildi or in Freytag...

Fact or fiction?

Thanks in advance

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think there is probably a bit of truth in that. It can't hurt, unless you happen to bend or lose the slide in the process. All of my magazines have the Lindal type back with the slide holder slot in them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I dunno, sounds like urban legend. The seal isn't just foam, its primary component is a springy metal or perhaps plastic strip similar to a weather strip. I'm not sure the foam is compressed all that much with the darkslide in place.
    There would be a lot of potential for getting dirt or debris in the magazine, or damaging the exposed pressure plate. I think I take the risk of leaving the slide in place.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Never heard that one.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have never heard it either. Or read it in my copy of The Hasselblad Manual, which has to date answered every question that I could think of.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. I've replaced Hassy light traps and it's cheap and takes 10 minutes if you're slow. The traps also last a long time so unless you're concerned about the traps lasting for 15 years instead of 10, why not keep where they're supposed to be?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Certainly a mix of myth, some truth and outrageous lies, like let's say, religion?

Hasselholicism exists.

Cheers

André

hka
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    What about dust that's comes into the filmback when not using the slides?
    I change every 5 years the lightseals just to prevent but mostly the stil look fine.
    harry

Release, the best you can do...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Changing the light traps is worth the spotting time saved by not having your backs get all dusty inside.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It definitely is fact.
    Not myth. Nor lies, outrageous or other.

The foam will not take kindly to being compressed all the time. It will deteriorate anyway, but the compression helps.

The "primary component" of the seal is indeed the foam. It is the thing that squeezes along the dark slide, up, to form a light tight seal when the slide is inserted, and extends up along the entire width of the dark slide slot when the slide is out.
    The bendy bit of metal-looking plastic foil beneath the foam is merely there so they can skimp on the thickness of the foam: it pushes the foam bit up.

Light traps (the foam bits) will not last 15 years. They will not last 10 years.
    To be on the safe side, changing seals at least every two years is advisable.
    You could hold out longer, untill you start losing images because of light leaks. But is it worth it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin