Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,034   Online: 976

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Film advance problem w/ Velvia

I am having a peculiar problem with my Mamiya RB67 120 back. With a roll of Fuji Velvia loaded, i can wind to frame 1 and trip the shutter, but when I advance the frame the indicator stays on one no matter how many times try to wind on. It has happened with all four rolls I tried (two 50's and two 100's). Strangely enough, I have loaded and shot several rolls of Ilford film with absolutely no problems. So it seems my back has a problem with Velvia. I searched for info on this, and the closest I came to an answer is something about "film thickness syndrome." Can that be the case here? Is this something that can be fixed with some sort of cleaning?

~Kevin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8300: BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.185 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Wow that's weird. I have used both Velvias in my RB67 and they acted no different from any other films.

Is there any difference in thickness with Velvia and other films? Have you tried other tranny films?
    Kodachrome
    They give us those nice bright colors
    They give us the greens of summers
    Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah.
    -Paul Simon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have used Velvia 50 and Velvia 100 in 120 and 220 with Mamiya RB67 Pro-S and Pro-SD backs with no problems at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The problem sounds like the film perforations are skipping over the sprockets, or could be broken pawls connecting wind-on lever and sprocket gear; this can happen in any camera but especially those under heavy use (35mm, 120 esp.). Try a different Velvia (100, 100F) or Provia (100, 100F, 400) and see if it repeats; if it does, it's a Fuji problem but I'd hedge my bets on a fault with the film transport first.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Fish of the day,

120 film does not have perforations. 120 backs do not have sprockets.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had this kind of problem once, although with a Linhof Rapid Rolex 6x7 back. The film transport problem was caused by the tape used to stick the film on the backing paper. The tape came lose a little and got stuck on one of the rollers. Perhaps the tape could be the reason of your problem, who knows?

Philippe
    "...If you can not stand the rustle of the leafs, then do not go in to the woods..."
    (freely translated quote by Guido Gezelle)

PS: English is only my third language, please do forgive me my sloppy grammar...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Q.G., I hate it when my 4x5 film jams because of its sprocket holes. ; )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fuji 120 backing paper is thinner than other brands...maybe that has something to do with it?
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Could be thinner backing, or even thinner emulsion as slower films sometimes are thinner than fast ones.
    Can you get a slow B&W film through OK? They should be thinnest.
    Personally I'd bet on the back being out of tolerance, try to get another back. I have a hard time believing Velvia can't be used in RB67 backs.
    Mark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Mark Anthony,
    I'm sure it's the back, but I was hoping to see if anyone had any of the same issues. I've ran Ilford Pan F+ (slow) with no problems. I'm going to try my last roll of Velvia today and see what happens.

~Kevin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin