Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,481,983   Online: 861

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

I need a flash for a 500 C/M

I am looking for suggestions for a flash for my hassleblad. I usually use available light. but some times I need fill flash or run out of light doing casual portraits. also what is the PC flash sync on the camera body for ?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I would suggest a Vivitar 283 or 285. They are cheap and available and provide what you are looking for.

There is not sync on a 500cm.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This looks like hot shoe only.I need something with a PC cord and a foot plate of some kind as my camera has no shoe at all.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You could buy a Hasselblad grip, which has a shoe for the flash, lets you release the shutter with your left hand, leaving the right hand free to focus and wind.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Davesw View Post
    This looks like hot shoe only.I need something with a PC cord and a foot plate of some kind as my camera has no shoe at all.
    The 283 has both shoe and PC connections. I use one with my 500c/m. I have a handle bracket (not Hassy) which centers the flash over the lens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Metz 45-series units are good ones too.

A basic 45 CT-1 can often be found for very, very little money (the last one i bought - used, but fully functional - was about US$15), offers all you need, and is very good.

The more expensive units in the Metz 45-series offer TTL-flash control as well as 'basic' automatic flash control, but your 500 C/M does not. So no need to spend money on one of those.

The synch contact on the body synchronizes flash with the rear, baffle-door shutter.
    You can use it when using lenses without shutter, or when the camera is mounted on a microscope.
    Unless doing 'open flash', this is of very limited use, because without a shutter in the lens, the rear shutter will be the thing that is timing the exposure. And that in turn is timed by how long you keep the shutter release button depressed. So no acurate control for anything shorterthan about 1 second.

You cannot (!) use this synch contact when using a lens with shutter. The rear shutter opens before the shutter in the lens will, so the flash is fired when the lens shutter is still closed.

Because it is of such limited use, later bodies no longer have this contact.
    Last edited by Q.G.; 11-30-2008 at 06:26 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is an accessory flash shoe that goes on the mounting rail on the left side of the camera for small shoe mount flashes, but I think a flash would be kind of awkward there.
    There is also a shoe that can go on some of the lens hoods, and some of the prism finders have flash shoes.

IMO, the best set up is the Hasselblad or other brand handle for a shoe mount or a Metz or similar "potato masher" flash as Q.G. suggests.

I currently use a Metz 45, the difficult thing with those is locating a platform bracket rather than the long skinny ones meant for 35mm cameras. However, the long one works OK, and using a platform bracket won't improve your pictures any.

That said, if all you need is fill, then a small unit that could fit on the side rail might be just the ticket, if you can find one that has a cord or use a hot-shoe adaptor.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Vivitar made a flash grip for the 283/285. It has a cold shoe and a cable release. There were two camera mounting plates: One for 35mm cameras and the other for medium format.

The grip raises the height of the flash to nearly eliminate incidents of red-eye. There also was a kit that includes another bracket that attached to the flash and included a card for bounce flash.

Additionally, there are many Metz models (if you want a European product) that probably would fit the bill, as well as numerous vintage Rollei flashes -- many offered PC synchronization.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Davesw View Post
    I am looking for suggestions for a flash for my hassleblad. I usually use available light. but some times I need fill flash or run out of light doing casual portraits. also what is the PC flash sync on the camera body for ?
    Sent you a PM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You'll need a handle/flash bracket to physically connect the flash unit to the camera, and you need a pc cord to electrically connect the flash unit to the pc connection on the camera lens. The lens leaf shutter syncs at all speeds. Vivitar 283/285 flash units are good.
    Art should unsettle the comfortable, and comfort the unsettled.

My photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin