Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,499   Online: 980

Thread: Bronica GS1

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Bronica GS1

Hello All,
    Thinking of purchasing one of these and would love to hear any pros or cons.
    Thanks

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've had one for a few years and I enjoy it. Without knowing what camera you are used to using, I'll say that it isn't so large that it has to always be on a tripod but it's a big step up from most 35mm bodies. I sometimes carry it handheld for casual shooting. The two lenses I have are the 100mm and 50mm and have been satisfying. I frequently use the mirror lockup feature and it is easy to use. Maybe one big feature you care about that I haven't dabbled in is the metered prism. Overall, I'd recommend the GS1.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I absolutely love the one I have. The viewfinder snaps into focus, the lenses are really sharp (I have the 100mm and the 65mm) and with the speedwinder, it handles nicely. Plus, there's nothing like a Velvia 50 chrome in 6x7cm. The big downside for me is that there are no fast lenses and it's a dead system. Other than that, I love it to bits.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One thing you may notice is that the market for GS1 accessories is a lot smaller than the other Bronica formats/models, and hence, things can be a little harder to find and a little more expensive. That being said, it is a very sturdy camera and handles quite nicely. I have stripped the speed winder off mine and would like to switch the prism for a wlf sometime soon. (now, if I only had an enlarger that went above 6X6... shoulda thought of that before I bought the GS1 :rolleyes: )

Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Nothing but positive from me.... great lenses, backs and service from KEH..... camera is a horse.... heavy but a worker.....weathered through a trip to Maine in 2006 and did superior work....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Me too - I love mine. It's a joy to use and the images are wonderful!
    Nothing beats the 6x7 size and it weighs a while lot less than the equally resilient RB.
    -Nanette

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    thanks. I have a line on one with 2 lenses and 3 backs, 645, 6x6, and 6x7 and a prism finder for under $500. I think I will bite.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin